Kodafix with 2TMY

I was reading the TMAX 400 - 2TMY literature and Kodak recommends Kodak Rapid

Fixer. I've used Kodafix with it and it took about 7 minutes to completely clear

the film. <p/>My question to you guys: What's your opinion of Kodak's

recommendation? <p/>And have any of you had problems with Kodafix?

Kodafix is an ambiguous product. It's an ammonium thiosulfate fixer, not a sodium thiosulfate fixer. Rapid fixers are made with ammonium thiosulfate. But Kodak doesn't consider Kodafix a rapid fixer. Since Kodak doesn't deign to publish online data sheets on their fixers, there isn't much explanation.

But, I've processed Ilford Delta films and Kodak T-MAX films in Kodafix, and it never needed 7 minutes to clear. Maybe 3 minutes when it was old, about 90 seconds when fresh. You didn't possibly mix it at the paper (half) strength?

Best buy for B&W film fixing is Kodak Flexicolor fixer, from their C-41 processing chemicals. Dirt cheap since it's in a high-volume price-competitive marketplace. It's a rapid fixer like any other, the requirements for color film are really more stringent if anything. That's what I'm buying when I use up my current supply of Kodafix.

Glad to hear that someone else is using Kodak Flexicolor Fixer for B&W films. I've been using the stuff for a good couple of years. It is dirt cheap, works really fast, and lasts a long time. If you think about it, it makes sense. Color films need to have all silver removed after the dyes are formed. That puts a bigger load on the fixer than B&W materials. Papers are even less demanding than film, so you can dilute the recommended working strength to 1/2 and still have a very potent fixer.