Digital Back on 501 C/M : Metering Issues

kausthub

Hello

I have read from different forums that the one of the differences between 501 CM

and the 503 CW is that there is no metering on the former, while there is on the

latter.

I am new to medium format and am considering a move to one of the above cameras

with a digital back... I wonder if this metering issue will be an issue if I

used the 501 CM with a digital back...will not the digital back offer automatic

metering??

Thanks

Kausthub Desikachar

Kausthub

There is no lightmetering in the 501CM and also not in the 503CW .

The only V-SYSTEM cameras which have a lightmeter system are the 203FE and the

205TCC/FCC .

The 503CW has a TTL flash control "metering" , which the 501CM does not have .

So you will have to use a handmeter and control the metering by using the digital

backs histogram .

Regards Jurgen

You need a hand light meter, preferably an incident meter. Neither the 501 nor 503 cameras have an internal meter, but you could use a metering prism. The 503 meter is for TTL flash only, and measures the reflected light from the film plane. The CFV sensor is shiny and needs a compensation factor with the 503CW.

The 200 series bodies have TTL metering, but only with the focal plane shutter. You need a $500 factory modification in order to use the CFV back with the focal plane shutter.

The TTL metering in the 200 serie work with leaf shutter too, this way you don't have auto exposure (aperture priority) but you still have the TTL light metering and you can set the exposure on the lens (aperture and speed) accordingly. You can use the CFV back on the 200 serie with the leaf shutter in the lens or have the camera modified (by Hasselblad) to use the CFV back with the focal plane shutter but this way you loose his capability to read the film speed selected on the film magazine. You can still use film because you can set the ISO speed into the camera body, just remember to chang it if you switch to a magazine loaded with a film of a different ISO speed.