WEB HOSTING SITES?

I use POWWEB.com, I get adequate space for my private use and lots of easy to use software provided free. I pay about $100 for domain registration and hosting for a year.

What kind of site do you have in mind? A big e-commerce site is going to use more bandwidth than a small personal site, and consequently cost more.

<Chas>

There are a billion of them out there (well, maybe not quite that many), it all depends on what you want/need from them.

<p> I just moved my own main website to <a href="http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-1649783-10422156">Hostmonster</a>. So far so good. You get unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, a free domain (plus hosting for an unlimited number of domains), Fantastico (auto install of galleries, forums, blogs etc), and they even give you shell access (ssh) if you want it, which is pretty rare these days. There's also a free site builder if you need it. They charge about $85/yr.

<p>You can get cheaper hosting of course. I have a small site with <a href="http://www.totalhosting.biz/">Totalhosting</a> and I think I pay about $3/month for that one.

Thank you everyone for your answers. I appreciate it. I am new at this forum thing. I am just looking for a website for a small personal website (starter site). There are so many! The two that I heard the most about in school were GoDaddy and Yahoo.. any input on these? Thank you again everyone! :)

GoDaddy and Yahoo are fine. Not the cheapest, possibly not the best, but for a small personal site it probably doesn't matter much. They may offer more "hand-holding" than some of the technically better and more professionally orriented hosts.

GoDaddy and Yahoo are fine. Not the cheapest, possibly not the best, but for a small personal site it probably doesn't matter much. They may offer more "hand-holding" than some of the technically better and more professionally orriented hosts.

Thank you again Bob for your advice. I do appreciate it. I will check out hostmonster too. It's so confusing. I don't think I will be needing a lot of "hand-holding", since I am taking web design now and am picking it up rather quickly. But I do appreciate your input very much.

Thank u! :)

Lisa, what Jim says is true.

You can get superb deals on the net. but once you ask for help you are out of luck.

I spent a good 3 months looking for one i would like.

And ended up going with bluefur.ca

You get a very good deal. And they reply to your emails very quickly and always fix my problems for me if i cant do it myself.

They have a fun blog too.

And they have a forum which for some reason not many people use.

But if you do, you get points and you can use the points to pay off your hosting cost. or to buy extra domain names.

have a look you wont be disappointed.

The other one i would recommend (if you are looking for photo only)

Is SmugMug.com

They have specials like 5 bucks off. but you can also use a code to get 50% off your first year. Thats the one id use. ;)

then you can get the pro account for about the same price as the standard. And after a year, if that account is to much for you you can downgrade. or vice versa.

Good luck.

Look at Arvixe.com; you can not find any bad reviews about them. I have used them for a few years now. Tech support is Great. Plans start at $40/year for a good offering.

Though I haven't personally used them, I have heared mixed reviews on Yahoo and GoDaddy hosting.

If you need web site software, look at SiteGenWiz (free). Very easy to make a site complete with galleries.

• 2 months later...