Still chasing Icebergs....

duane_mills

Yet another balmy day in the North Atlantic, today was 8 degrees celsius or 46.4

degrees fahrenheit depending on the scale you prefer. After a week of R.D.F.

(rain, drizzle and fog) we were blessed with clouds and occasional moments of

sunshine. The hunt is still on for the berg of the year, however today I did

capture a few smaller ones. There were 16 or 17 icebergs that were simply not

within reach for a DA 50-200mm lens. Here are the few that were within range:<div>00PaqV-45243584.jpg.4d06b5e045bda1d3022e7a05bd713474.jpg</div>

Fantastic! The houses make me fantasize how cool it would be to sit in the living room and watch those things just drift by. I agree about the second one. Catching that kind of detail on all that white is nicely done. The composition is great too. Definitely worthy to hang on the wall.

Duane, I am chomping at the bit. My wife and I are going to "the Rock" for a week the middle of June. Looking forward to taking some pics of the bergs as well as whale watching for Humpies/Blues. Any tips on where we should go for the best opportunities?

Thanks everyone. Michael - given the record breaking amount of icebergs this year you may be fortunate enough to see one or two in mid-June. Typically the iceberg season is over by then, but this year is an anomaly. As for whales, the best viewing places will depend on where you are staying. If in the St. John's area - Cape Spear is good but you'll want a 300mm lens. The entire Southern Shore "Irish Loop" is awesome - an O'Briens boat tour from Bay Bulls to St. John's with a DA 50-200mm will get you fairly close if you are fortunate enough to see a whale. Conception Bay North is another terrific option. The opportunities are endless. There are many excellent tour operators worth considering.

I personally have found that boating from Lewisporte past Twillingate is the most exhilarating whale watching you'll ever experience. If you've ever been in a small 20' speed boat and have had a Humpback whale close (within 100') it'll really put you in touch with how small and insignificant we human beings can be in the grand scheme of things. Hope this helps.. Cheers.