28-105mm macro lens w/ extension tube ???

ptkeam

Hi,

I have a nikon 28-105mm macro zoom I use with a couple of D70's. It will produce

1:2 reproduction ratio @ 105mm and I'm really happy with it. In fact it's my single

favorite lens.

However, there are some times I'd like to get to 1:1 but I really don't want to

endanger my marriage by getting a 105mm VR macro nikon lens (you spent how

much for what??)

My question is -- has anyone ever used an extension tube with this lens?? I don't

see why it wouldn't work but I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

I'm a beginner so hopefully some other people will chime in.

I've never used an extension tube on a zoom lens, let alone the one you are asking about so I'll just side-step the question.

I think an easier and less expensive route would be to use a close-up filter. I'm not sure if it will get you to true 1:1 though. Have you considered that option?

Maybe you could buy the 105mm macro and at the same time take your wife shoe shopping. New shoes solve most marital issues. :D

Best of luck!

You can get to 1:1 macro with a PN11. The PN11 give you a tripod connection which can come in very handy. This combo can give you good result. Here are the trade off

- With a PN11 you lose electrical connections. There go TTL flash and metering on a D70. But you can work with out it in macro. You can also use the Kenko 35mm tube with electrical connections for metering but you lose the tripod socket. Your pick.

- The working distant (filter ring to subject) is a bit short 1~2 inches. The 62mm filter size which cast a large shadow doesn't yield good lighting options.

- At 1:1, as good as the close up performace is for the 28-105 has some cyan and blue CA (color shift) at the edges. You can correct them with software still product good result.

Back when I had a Nikon 6T close-up attachment I tried it on a 28-105. The reason I even tried it was because of a photo in Nikon World that was said to have been taken with a 6T and 28-105mm lens. It didn't really change anything, surprisingly. And now that the 5T and 6T attachments are no longer made they're quite expensive on eBay and such (I paid $40 for my 6T from B&H in 1998).

The macro function on the 28-105mm lens is handy, but it's kind of deceptive. If you set a true 105mm macro lens to 1:2 and compare the view they are NOT the same at all.

Sorry, no info or comment on what effect an extension tube would have.

IMHO, close up filter on this 28-105mm is not the best idea. The way that this lens is designed, stacking a 5T (+1.5) and 6T (+3) yield 1:1.5 (2/3X) and working distant of about 2cm. A lot of work for not much magnification gain. Using a 1.4X TC to increase this level of magnification may be more optimal for this lens.

It should at least be mentioned that an extension tube will not allow the lens to focus as far out, some number of feet to inifinity. So, if you are changing rapidly from macro to distance, it will be an impediment, otherwise no biggie to put on or take off the ring. I have the 6,5,4 and 3T diopter lenses. They do work but there is some loss in contrast and edge blurring, but on a half frame sensor you avoid a lot of the edge loss. I also use some cheapie tubes, and they work well too, tho manually. I found a dirt cheap PB-4 bellows and use that a lot as a variable extension tube ... bulky as all get out, but very fun. I lusted after a PN11 but never found one cheap and then life sidetracked me. And then there is reverse lens mounting too you can look into. Happy close up. Jim M.

I would not expect very good performance from a 28-105 "Macro" lens. It is not, after all, a macro lens with flat field and such, but a lens that has a close focusing range with a lot of field curvature.

You could use extension tubes with this lens, but a zoom lens loses its parfocal ability (to stay in focus as the lens is zoomed). I suggest you buy an used 55/2.8 AIS Micro to get your feet wet. Alternately, try a 50/1.8 with extension tubes.