I've recently made the switch film/digital (shoot film, process, scan negs) to

completely digital.

I've been using PSE 5 and am considering upgrading to PSE 6. Can any of you

tell me what the important differences are between these versions?

Thanks.

Vernon

I may download the trial version of CS3, but I suspect that it would be over kill for what I will be doing.

I checked out the link, thanks for posting it.

In doing some research on PSE 6, I've come across several posts that mention bug in this version. To me, it looks like most (if not all) can be attributed to a PC that is too low spec to run the new version.

I'm running PSE 5 on an AMD Turion 64 X2 based laptop with 2 GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon graphics processor. The OS is Vista Home Premium SP1.

This PC should have the horsepower to run PSE 6, display calibration is an issue for another time.

The thing that makes me consider upgrading is the 16 bit capability. Is PSE 6 stable, or should I hold off?

Thanks.

Vernon

Vernon, I remember hearing quite a few complaints about using PSE and CS with Vista. There might have been some bugs because both have issued updates. I run XP on my desktop, Vista on my laptop, and have never had a problem.

Obviously CS3 has far more 16-bit support than PSE. I can't remember what is limited to 8-bit in PSE but I think it was some filters, maybe layers, and some of the popular tools like Clone and Healing Brush. Curves is not as extensive in PSE but I think it is 16-bit.

Best thing to do, try out both on the 30-day trials and see which works best for you.