32bit vs 64bit: apps & peripherals ?

I'm switching to Vista...need a machine with bigger internal HD.. similar $$ to

buy a new 3G or 4G Vista monster as upgrade my otherwise wonderful 2G-maxed-out

XP ...I don't bill for time, but computer geeking hassles feel like $250/hr :-(

What about 64bit vs 32bit..is 64 just as compatible as 32?

Will I have troubles with:

#1 CS-2 (I read that this is fine)

#2 Nikon V 50ED

#3 Epson 2200

#4 QTR Quadtone

#5 Wacom Intuos 3.

I've read 32bit beats 64bit with older peripherals and apps, but I'd rather buy

64bit if it's compatible...

Yes, I can find this info on official sites but I'd like to hear real life

experiences...which on Photo.net often differ from official software claims.

John / Albuquerque

MS made it so that Vista 64-bit drivers have to be signed. This is good for the server and workstation market, it insures they don't end up with systems with dodgy reliability. For photographer's it can be a PiTA. It creates a barrier to entry which means drivers aren't as common as they could be.

Hi John,

May I suggest some simple research. Make a spreadsheet with the following columns:

SOFTWARE/HARDWARE; VISTA-32: VISTA-64; UPGRADE COST; REMARKS.

On you XP machine go to CONTROL PANEL > ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. This will give you a listing off all the programs INSTALLED on your XP machine (programs that simply run from an EXE file without installation will not be listed). Enter each of these in the spreadsheet under HARDWARE/SOFTWARE.

Next, look around your computer and enter all the hardware attached, or that could be attached, to you machine. Do not forget items like cell phones, PDA's, card readers, etc.

Next, go out on the Web to each manufacturer's site for both hardware and software and check for Vista compatibility - both 32-bit and 64-bit. For the hardware look for DRIVERS, usually found in the support section. On your spreadsheet make a notation of YES or NO under the VISTA-32 or VISTA-64 columns. If there is a charge to update the software, note that in the UPGRADE COST column.

It sounds like a lot of work. Last year, when upgraded my Significant Other from Windows-98 to Vista, I followed this procedure. We have had no problems with the conversion, nor have we had any problems running Vista.

I took me only a few hours to do the research.

Back to your question about Vista-64. Nikon does NOT have drivers for the the Coolscan V running under 64-bit Vista and has no intention of writing them in the near future. Nikon does have a driver for 32-bit Vista. Here is a link to the Nikon Knowledge Database article:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14151&p_created=1164904835&p_sid=Y7PLo84j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDYsNDYmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD12aXN0YQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Note the restriction to 32-bit Vista in the first sentence.

Here is a link to the 32-bit Vista driver for the Coolscan series:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14463

With any 32-bit operating system - XP or Vista - you will be able to address about 3 1/2 gigabytes of memory (32-bit can address 4 gigabytes, but your display card and other hardware uses about 500 megabytes of memory space). If you intend to populate your mother board with 4-Gigabytes of memory, a 32-bit operating system will suffice. A 64-bit operating system excels when you have 8-Gigabytes or more of memory; very few, if any, desk top mother boards can address more than 8-gigabytes of memory.

I LOVE my 64 bit Vista running on the hp m9180f quad core machine. However, I am still running the Nikon 9000 scanner on the XP 32 bit machine since Nikon has no plans of making their software work on 64 bits. I removed most software from the 32 bit machine and the scans are better then ever before, also I continue working on other images while scanning using both systems. This is not what was planned, two systems, because I couldn't believe that Nikon wouldn't be doing a 64 bit version. These systems work really well for me. Old computer and new one at the same time.

Also, my Wacom tablet works great, plug and play and the Epson R2400 works well. Downloaded the software from Epson for Vista. The key I found to work is to go by factory installs, just let Vista do what it does with minimal tweeking. The entire system is set for Adobe 1998. CS2 is working well also and that is running 120mm scans at 460 mg = 80 mgpx from the original scans. Bridge runs a little slower than the ms file finder, but not bad.

Cathy, thanks. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

Garrison, Nikon will never bother with 64bits: they've been distancing themselves from film since they stopped making F6...the past two years at least. They're not even filling B&H/Adorama orders. They'd make more money by killing scanners than by making them (no scanners would equal more D300).

John there is a related thread here:

<a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00PX1W>link</a>

Another approach is to Run 64-bit vista, and run "any other operating system" in a virtual PC which is a free MS download. I'm doing this for some legacy software and it wotks great.

<a href=http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/default.mspx>link</a>