Dust inside 85mm f/1.2

Most lenses ship with some factory installed dust. Most folks don't notice unless they

shine a penlight down the barrel and peer in the other side. Additionally, focus

operation involves the movement of optical elements within the barrel. This movement

displaces air mainly out the rear of the lens. The constant sucking in and venting of air

is responsible for the many additional dust particles you'll find in your lens over the life

of the lenses. All lenses do this. Learn to live with it or be in continual distress.

Besides, typical lens dust makes no difference in image quality.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I'd imagine that the back is the best place to have dust. Light is pretty well-contained

by that point, so the effect of dust should be very minimal. On the front, though, I can

see it really causing some problems as stray light is caught, causing small flares and

just general loss of contrast as they glow.

Of course, this is all speculation, and assumes there's quite a lot of dust there for

anything to effect the image.

Sure there is dust its everywhere , as to your lens its worthwile to remember most particles you see are magnified after all you are looking into a lens.

does it have any influence on picture quality , not likely unless the cover is complete it will then reduce contrast.

I wouldn't worry about it. I remember reading an article by Dr Stewart Bell in AP when he used to place postage stamps on large (telescope-type) optical mirrors etc as a bit of tom-foolery and it didn't affect measurable optical performance a bit. Perceived optical performance would be even less noticeable.

Unless it's turned into an hour glass full of grit I wouldn't worry at all.

My 85/1.8 has about the same level of dust after a couple of years use. Doesn't impact

on IQ, and cleaning it is likely to do more harm that good. You don't need a flashlight to

see my dust either.

Put the lens in your bag and think about anything but the dust. After a few weeks, you

will stop obsessing and you will be as happy as ever. It is just like the first time you

drop and ding your camera. Heartbreaking for a while, then you get over it and accept

the 'character'.

• 3 weeks later...