Changing lenses in the field

charles_clark1

Most of my photography is done in the field. I am having problems keeping my sensor

face clean. I own a K10D. I use the sensor shaker feature of the camera, but there

still seems to be dust remaining on the screen.

Currently, when I am going to change lenses, I prepare the new lens by taking the lens

body cap off; take the old lens off the camera, put the new lens on, and the put the lens

body cap on the lens I just removed.

The problem is that in the real world, there is almost always wind. It seems that the

micro-particles that are blowing around in the wind still make it into my camera.

How do you experienced guys change lenses in the field? I am really bothered by this.

Thanks.

Chuck

It sounds like you have the right process.

Dust happens...

I'd suggest also: 1) keep the lens-mount on the body pointed down, and 2) turn off the camera and wait 20 seconds (or longer) to let any charge on the sensor dissipate before removing the lens.

I'm doing about the same as Javier and I don't fret too much anymore but if the conditions are very bad I do one of 2 things. Carry and extra body with an alternate lens and make no lens changes or carry a large clear plastic bag (kept in a ziplock that I can keep the dust out of when it's in my pocket) and put everything on there to make the change.

I try to avoid changing lenses as much as possible, which is usually pretty easy because I've mainly been shooting macro lately. But, like Geoff said, when you're changing the lens hold the lens mount on the body pointed down and minimize the time of exposure.

I just don't worry.

Dust is impossible to stop. If it's noticably dusty or the air is filled with pollen I use more caution. For everything else, I typically just blow the sensor clean before and after every trip. If I notice dust I then brush it, and if I notice still dust I use a wet cleaner.

I do get everything ready though in adverse conditions. Caps loose, camera down, lens on camera 75% rotated off (but still sort of locked). the whole thing takes less than 5 seconds from the time the camera fully exposed. Lots of time for the sensor to fill with dust, but truthfully, I've noticed less dust of late.

But even if you never change lenses, you will find dust on the sensor. Only one person claims to be dust free on this forum, and it's not me.

Charles,

you can do a lot of things to help prevent getting dust or what not on the sensor but for the most part it is going to happen when changing in the field.

My plan....18-250 MM Pentax or Tamron lens.

that should cover a range I mostly shoot within and I wont have to change lenses in the field.

not only is dust and other stuff an issue but it is a royal pain to change lenses in the field anyway

So here's a question: How do you get the dust off the sensor when you've blown and used the dust reduction function? I have a couple of spots that I have to edit out of every picture when its of something light. The camera shop said they could send it in, but it would take up to month to get it back. I don't have time for that right now. I also have a bunch of dust in my view finder, but its not a problem- just annoying.

I was really anxious about lens changes in general and freaked about dust at first but I've gotten it reasonably under control now, following the procedure others have outlined above.

Actually, that's pretty amazing: I'm pretty clumsy and the idea of my juggling $500 pieces of precision equipment still strikes me as absurd when I stop and think about it.

Geoff's "wait 20 seconds (or longer) to let any charge on the sensor dissipate before removing the lens" was new to me though so thanks for raising the question.

So far (knock wood), I haven't encountered dust I couldn't blow off but fortunately there's a repair guy in the area ready to make some money off me if I do.

Being able to change a lens quickly is the main factor, and if windy using a bag helps. In the field I will check my images for dust spots nightly. When I've found spots on my images that blowing and shaking didn't fix I use a sensor cleaner, which works well. I once made my own beer and realized I was spending 90% of my time washing and cleaning, photography isn't quite that much but knowing how to clean the gear, and keep it clean, is part of the process.

I don't really bother anymore. Rubbish will build up anyway. usually I (have to) check my pictures and clean up digitally. When that gets to much, every three or four months or so, and then I routinely clean with an antistatic brush, some blowing and use of the builtdust-remover. That takes 5 or 10 minutes. Piece of cake.

Most of the time I pretty much do what is suggested by the others here; use a little caution when changing lenses and just blow the sensor as needed with a rocket blaster. So far I have not needed to take a wet swab to it (...knock wood).

But most of my vacations involve SCUBA diving / ocean trips which frequently means blowing sand and ocean spray. I get REALLY nervous swapping lenses with wet salty hands and sand & sea spray blowing around. So frequently the DSLR stayed at the hotel and my P&S went on the boat / beach.

So I bought the 18-250 a few weeks ago to have a really light weight flexible travel lens to pack along with a limited or two. Sometimes you just don't want to change lenses or when traveling with non-camera buff buddies don't have time to change for a quick shot. I'm still deciding what I think about the super zoom, but optically it's much better than I was expecting and it's convenience factor is just unmatched. I think this lens and my smaller k100d will replace my Canon point and shoot for most everything except the nastiest of conditions and my underwater stuff.

/Roger

Dust on the old sensor eh? Well, let me put it this way.

When I first got my K10D I was very, and I mean VERY careful when changing lenses. Then to my dismay I realized no matter what I did or how careful I was I always managed to get dirt on the sensor.

Forward to today, I'm not careful at all and I still have the same amount of dirt on my sensor from time to time.

How do I clean my sensor? Usually with a cotton swab (the kind you clean your ears with - hopefully)

How well does it work? Great. It knocks all the dust loose while I blow across the lens mount while holding the camera in a downward position.

Any ill effects? Sure, every once in a while I remove all the dust spots and end up with a big cotton strand instead.. Those are far easier to get out though, usually they fall with the sensor knocking. If they're stubborn, I just trap in the swab again. No scratches on the sensor (Technically, I should say no scratches on the glass covering the sensor ;) )