Lost then Found Filters

Remelt the candy bar then rinse. I had a similar problem and left it on the kitchen windowsill till things softened enough to rinse off. Use a soft clean (freshly laundered cloth) if necessary to help with removing the bulk of the material. Then a cleaning with a glass cleaner for residue and things were back to normal. We don't need to know why I know this.

Lionel, thats essentially what I did. I removed the remnants of what appeared to be a Reese cup, rinsed under a

gentle stream of tap water, spayed on lens cleaner (no alcohol or silicone, its what I use for my glasses that

have a coating on them to improve night vision and was given to me by the optometrist) and cleaned with a micro

fiber cloth. I see no scratches!

I'd consider the protective filter useful now only for emergencies, like shooting around ocean spray, that sorta thing. The polarizer may be a goner. Unless it's sealed like a Kasemann, polarizers are vulnerable to oxidation even under normal conditions with age and exposure to ordinary atmospheric conditions. Soft resolution is the likely result, tho' it may be noticeable only in fine details at maximum print size.

UV, skylight and protective filters can be thought of as disposable protection, kinda like condoms for expensive lenses. Don't get too attached to 'em. That's why they're threaded on rather than welded.

My mom, now almost 70, recently got fed up with her P&S digital camera. She went back to the Olympus iS-2 I gave her years ago. First thing she did was mash a big ol' thumbprint on the lens while trying to replace the lens cap. Like many folks her age the fine motor control is gone. The most expedient solution was a protective filter that can be cleaned and eventually replaced if needed.