both chrome, beater cameras. M4 JUST cla'd; M2 is button rewind, modified with

quick load and MP rewind arm.

black voigtlander glass went with them:

35mm f/1.7 & 28/35 minifinder

28mm f/3.5 & metal 28 finder

and metal lens hoods.

send word if you see them.

much appreciated.

My sympathies. I hope you have reported the serial numbers to the police. This is too late for you but what I carry is non-descript shoulder bag (LL Bean's black bag works fine) and a carabiner (climbing store) & when I sit anywhere I clip the carabiner to me or something stable. It will not stop theieves but does slow them down.

"In hindsight, do you really think the Mission is the best place to go to at night?"

Should he confine himself to Walnut Creek when the sun goes down?

Sean, no loss. It's only cameras... an opportunity to start fresh.

When in the Mission, visit Hamburger Eyes Gallery ... beautiful neighborhood.

http://www.burgerworldchronicles.com/33/ (browse using hamburger eyes...many related sites)

Is there still a shop in Albany that sells lots of used Leicas? I don't remember the name but it might be a good idea to call them, too. If nothing else, you might find replacements. Sorry to hear that.

VS

I'm mostly down on the other end of town now but I used to get to the Mission regularly. I am truly sorry to hear that you lost your Leicas. I never considered the Mission a particularly dangerous place but it's the City and you can get ripped off or get your ticket punched anywhere if you aren't prudent. I had to grapple with a street guy one day on Mission Street one day after I took a picture that may have included him. Big, ugly and that wasn't Lakota Cabernet on his breath. The shame is whoever stole the cameras probably won't get much for them. I wish you could ransom them back for the few bucks they will probably get.

Barry try Pancho Villa on 16th Street between Mission and Valencia for a burrito.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=476468

Everybody learns this lessson the hard way, I did: NEVER leave your equipment in a car, not even for 5 seconds. I lost 2000.00 in 1986 in Rochester that way, and of course the insurance company denied coverage for some reason. Tough luck. Make an insurance claim on your homeowners insurance policy.

... for the support.

yes, the police have been contacted. going on 24 hours later, and the report hasn't been filed yet; they wouldn't accept my serials.

so i'm canvassing the pawn shops and the used dealers i know in the city tomorrow.

it was after a shoot. i had everything with me. i have an old okay-looking peugeot, not exactly a high-profile car. Literally nothing was visible, and they didn't try to steal the car. they knew what they were going for.

sadly, i really think it was my ex-girlfriend, who lives up the street. turns out she was a fairly notorious con artist in the san francisco music scene. i never met a con artist before.

the officer made a "pfft-tch" sound when i said that.

it's all scrap metal by now probably. cameras, lenses, computer, and a body bag full of light stands.

the annoying thing is that this is the culmination of the systematic deconstruction of my sane, stable life since feb. 15th.

now i'm homeless, broke, AND will have to stop freelancing unless i can find people who want available light film shoots. i had my digitals on me, but all but one card was with the rest of it. cool.

the food is good still, but i don't like hipsters any better than i like gangbangers and meth addicts. i shoot there, i have friends there, if i could afford to, i'd live there. i get fewer bad vibes in SF than sacramento, where i'm from.

i've been mugged once, also in SF, this same M4 has been stolen twice now.

The last idiot mugged me across the street from the cops.

cheers, and don't let yours sit on a shelf. Tools break and get lost...

but are expensive to replace.

You better hope the cops DON'T find that equipment when arresting somebody for something else...it's VERY hard to get evidence released, takes like a year.

Meanwhile, we all know that Peugeot is not the kind of vehicle a normal kind of person drives in the US, so a meth addict might reasonably figure something entertaining might be found inside.