Thin Polarizer

deans

Do the thin filters have front screws?

The Cokin on the front is another matter. I would think that it would vignette with another filter before it on the lens. There is a thin version of the holder ( P Wide-Angle Holder (BPW-700) P299) for wide angle lenses that holds only one filter. Others have simply taken a hobby tool to the plastic holder and cut off the extra channels.

I have a 17-40 and a 5D, and with my Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer with the normal

ring, yes, it vignettes. You'll be okay with the thin mount. I have that one as well, and

it's required even on the 24-105, at or below about 28mm.

Heliopan SH-PMC Slims have front threads. With any Filter attached to a WA lens on a FF camera you'll almost certainly get some vignetting if you start adding cokin/lee type filter holders.

You'll not find a bigger advocate of using UV filters for front element protection - but - this is one of the occasions where you'll probably want to remove it.

Cheers,

Colin

photo.net/photos/colinsouthern

Thanks Geoff and Colin for the feedback.

<p>

I suppose the Heliopan will replace my B+W when it gets dirty. I take it the Heliopan is

well built, made of brass, and handles like a B+W? (Must be as it's $212 rather than

the B+W's $165) But so far with my standard B+W Circ Polarizer I haven't had

vignetting problems on a 5D, at least not caused by the filter. (I've had vignetting from

the 24-105L at its widest, but even with no filter whatsoever)

B+W & Heliopan are very much on-par quality wise. I understand that they both use Shott glass from Germany.

My experience with Heliopan is "top quality product, difficult supply lines" (well here in NZ anyway) - I've had to cancel an order a few months ago because it still hadn't shown up after about 3 months! I wouldn't hesitate to use B+W, but my understanding is that they don't produce a slim UV with front threads.

"Colin, can the Heliopan SH-PMC Slim filter accept regular Canon lens caps?"

Yes - that's what I use.

I had problems trying to get any of my Canon lens caps to fit my Heliopan thin Polarizer filter, so I ordered a specially made one from B&H. I forgot what I paid for it.

I use Hoya SMC Pro-1 polarizers that have front threads for my lens cap or my Cokin P holder with Hitech GNDs. Note that Hoya makes a number of models/lines of filters. Only the Pro-1 is both thin rim AND has outside threads in the polarizers which are 5mm thick. Pro-1 UV/Haze are 3mm, but if the polarizer doesn't vignette at 5mm then save some money and get the UV/Haze in the SMC version (5mm) but otherwise having exactly the same features (coatings etc). Note that my research sometime ago showed the B&W MRC polarizers were 4mm thick and had front threads. I recommend Filter Connection (2filter.com) as a source for either.

"I had problems trying to get any of my Canon lens caps to fit my Heliopan thin Polarizer filter, so I ordered a specially made one from B&H. I forgot what I paid for it."

Ahhh - double-drat. My stuff up. Somewhere along the way my brain substituted "UV Filter" for "CP Filter" - I was talking about the UV ones - sorry to all I put wrong.

I've got 77mm & 82mm Heliopan CP slims as well - and - alas - no front threads.

Cheers,

Colin