Check this guy out

john_frie

I read so many times that one camera is better than the other or you can't do this with this camera

but can do it with another blah blah blah.

For one of the first times on these forums I stumbled across this person's portfolio and was so

impressed with his creative ability over all.

I am a trained commercial/fashion photographer and have see some of the greatest work to the

worst.I was so fortunate to have some of the finest portrait, commercial and makeup artists teach

me for many years. This person shows that you don't need the flagship cameras to get beautiful

results. He shot all of the things I saw with the EOS 300D.

Check it out.

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=2328099

J

I agree -- takes LOTS of time for the special effects you see in the referenced portfolio by the OP. Lots of time to set up the shots, light them, take them, and the post processing.

Given better tools any given good photographer will produce better results. The photog is more important than the gear and it does matter what gear you use, as YP just wrote.

"it does matter what gear you use, as YP just wrote."

Don't get me wrong everyone. I'm as much of a toy lover as the next person and

believe me I have a lot of toys. However with all of the cameras and experience I

find myself picking up my wife's Sony Cybershot H2 more than my own cameras for

the convenience. I have gotten some really beautiful 16 x 20 enlargements from this

camera.

My point is you can have great tools but if you don't have the creative abilities all

you'll get are really high quality bad shots.

You can have the best woodworking tools money can buy but without the creative

ability to make great woodworking all you really have are great tools. Don't get hung

up so much on the equipment. Bottom line is you can walk out into your backyard

and with very basic tools, spend the rest of your life finding great photos there. The

requirements are creative imagination, the ability to previsualize and the knowledge

to properly use the tools you have to get what you see.

Post manipulation is now the term used replacing the darkroom. 80% of the great

photos were manipulated in the darkroom. Don't forget that your creativity extends

beyond the camera and well into the darkroom.

Ok I'm stepping off my box now. :-)

j

Post manipulation?

To me, that would mean something that happened after manipulation!

And just to repeat, although the guy referred to by the OP wasn't using absolutely top dollar

equipment, what he is using comes pretty far up the scale of good equipment.

Yeah you''re right Ken. It shouldn't be post manipulation. Good catch. But I bet you got

my meaning. which was manipulation after the shot.

I guess one of my points is sometimes, listening to the talk, the only thing that's

justifiable as a good camera is something $2000 and above. Just soooo not true.

J

<p>Yakim linked to <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cameras-matter.shtml">an article</a> whose author was <i>"quite annoyed, and so decided to write this rebuttal"</i> to <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm">this article</a> which says<i> " the artists whose works you admire tend to use fancy, expensive tools"</i> because</p>

<p><i>"1.) Good tools just get out of the way and make it easier to get the results you want. Lesser tools may take more work.</p>

<p>2.) They add durability for people who use these tools hard all day, every day.</p>

<p>3.) Advanced users may find some of the minor extra features convenient. These conveniences make the photographer's life easier, but they don't make the photos any better.</p>

<p>4.) Hey, there's nothing wrong with the best tools, and if you have the money to blow why not? Just don't ever start thinking that the fancy tools are what created the work."</i></p>

<p>Rockwell's arguments don't sound all that unreasonable. Am I missing something here?</p>

I think Rockwell's article is well done and justifies much of what I believe.. I read

many comments in this forum from some very good photographers who try to inspire

using the equipment you have and not thinking the more of it you buy the better your

pics will be. My experience has taught me not to let the equipment become an

obstacle to creative expression. The author of the article Yakim linked to seems to

be a very annoyed person. After reading his first couple of paragraphs, which were

loaded with insults and contradictions, you knew immediately where the rest was

going. I can't help but think he found some truths about himself from Rockwells

article to be so annoyed.

Ken, I wasn't quoting anyone in this thread.

j

>> Good tools just get out of the way and make it easier to get the results you want. Lesser tools may take more work.

That may be true in very limited way but it can limit you and your creativity in so many ways. What if you have a slow lens and need a shallow DoF? What if you have a camera with 3MP (e.g. Canon D30) and need to print a poster where only a 39MP digital back would do? What if you have a 3 FPS camera and need 8 or 10 FPS? What if you have a slow focusing lens (e.g. non-USM) and need to shoot sports? What if you want to shoot birds and only have a short lens? The list goes on and on.

He later adds about cars: Even a good driver in a crummy car like a Geo Metro can escape from multi-car police chases in broad daylight. It's the driver, not the car. Read that one here. That is: If you found one case which is true than all must be true, right? Oh, yeah...

Look, while I don't agree with anything MR wrights, most people (myself included) thinks that KR is not a guy to be taken seriously. He once compared a 5D and an L lens to a P&S and concluded that the P&S was almost as good.

My suggestion to you is to search about KR.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.