Which aperture to use?

anthony_wallace

Hi,

I'm going to be doing a series of interior shots in abandoned rooms (not very big) and after a

conversation with a friend, I'm a bit confused as to which aperture to use.

Basically he explained that my lens would probably perform at it's best at around F16 and that F22

might look too sharp and would also be stretching the lens' capabilities. Please can someone help

me on this? I just assumed that I should be going for depth of field to try and get everything in

focus!

I'm using a Hasselblad 500CM with the 80mm F2.8 T* lens & a tripod. The film is Portra NC 160 /

400 (light isn't always good).

I've only got one chance to take these shots as the place is getting demolished very soon!

The other question is can you possibly recommend any photographers who have done atmospheric

interior shots? I'm not after lifestyle magazine style, but really want to capture the essence of the

rooms. Any 6x6 reference shots for metering or inspiration would really help.

Thank you for your time.

Anthony

You friend tried to explain the effect of difraction when you stop down the lens: at f16, the lens produce sharper image, located at plane of focus, that it does at f22.

<p>

I'd say don't worry too much about this difraction - use the aperture necessary to get the depth of field. There won't be much difference in sharpness between f11, f16 and f22 caused by difraction.

Carl Zeiss lenses offer amazing good quality at full aperture.

With the 80 mm lens F8 - F11 are quite save to use.

If the rooms you intend to shoot are not si big a 50 mm WA lens may be a great help.

Do not be afraid to use older lenses.

Zeiss lenses have been improved through the years which does not mean older lenses are no good.

Many 50 mm lenses of the first generation are still used daily with excellent results.

It seems to me that this is mostly a question about lighting. If you are shooting with

either colour 160 or 400 on a tripod in low light, an exposure on "B" at f/16 for say 1 to

4 seconds (I presume that you have a good light meter) should give you tolerable

results, but you are going to have a lot of shadowy areas. However, if you use an

indirect flash source fired manually during an exposure of say of 4 seconds, you will

get far better results. Again, a lot depends on your daylight source. The size of the

room is also an important factor. Good luck.