Second shooters - Questions on hiring

candice

I would like to know how you handle your second shooters in respects to hiring

the same one over and over again. Do they shoot the B and G romantics with you,

is there anyone here that dose not allow them to shoot those, if so why. Do

you answer all their questions in respects to your business?

I usually don't use a second shooter, but like to when I can, and have used them in the past. I generally pay inexperienced shooters (apprentices) $100 for attending a wedding with me, plus they are gaining valuable wedding experience, and I give them training and instruction on the job. They learn by watching me, assist with gear, and often take my second camera with long lens and shoot from the back of the ceremony. Those with more photojournalistic shooting experience sometimes will get an assignment from me, such as to go over to the reception area and shoot the cake, decorations, room, etc. before guests arrive, and when they're done, they join me at the ceremony site. Sometimes, the client has specifically requested an experienced second shooter. I arrange the shooter, and inform the client that they can pay a $300 fee directly to them (I don't take a cut). In most cases, I'm the primary shooter handling the most critical shots, formals, creatives, etc. The second shooter generally shoots anything they feel is important, backs me up on the ceremony with alternate angles, guest reactions, etc. and if female, joins the bride in the dressing room for prep shots while I shoot the guys.

I like to work with the same people as much as possible, but sometimes their other obligations prevent this.

Part of what I "pay" apprentices and second shooters is giving them my knowledge and skills, and sharing ideas. I want their feedback too, because I don't claim to know everything, and a fresh outside perspective is important at times.

Howdy!

The one thing I am wary about with second shooters is when they try to take over the wedding. Never let a second shooter argue with you in front of the client. Make it clear ahead of time that they have a wide latitude in what they shoot, as long as they do not upstage you.

Later,

Paulsky

Hey, Paulsky, I totally agree, that would NOT be a desirable situation! This is something that would most likely happen with more established shooters who have their own agenda and know their way around. I'd definitely have an understanding beforehand. Most of the shooters I work with are not so experienced, and are pretty humble; they're just happy to be getting the experience, making some money, and having good reception food/drink!

My thinking on a second photographer is right in line with Steve C. and Paul ...

The only items I'd add:

~Parameters on how they use their image.

~I'd also recommend that they know your style of shooting so that their image files somewhat "match" your shooting style. For example: I shoot a lot with a wide open aperture and ask that they shoot similar if at all possible. I ask that they shoot with similar settings (within reason) at receptions so our flash styles are similar.

The goal is to create a body of work on the wedding day that has image files that are "cohesive" in nature. You want avoid "the look" of the second photographers image files "feeling" independent from the main photographers image files.

For example: if I shoot with an open aperture during the reception (so that I can bring up the backgrounds) and give the image file depth then I don't want the second photographer to be shooting with a smaller aperture causing the backgrounds to go dark.

When I first decided to go out on my own, it was because I couldn't get anyone locally to let me be a second shooter. This was before everyone started putting their locations after their names, and none of the people that were outright rude to me (I'm not kidding) are those on this forum. But I had a bad enough taste in my mouth to just try it on my own with the "building my portfolio" price.

I am consequently predisposed to giving second shooters a chance, and have worked with...5 so far in a year. One of them, I will not work with again. The other 4 have been solid. I always tell them, orally, that they can keep copyright of the images and offer them the option of a contract. I just ask them to use the images only for promotional purposes.

At the wedding, I choreograph our movements during the ceremony and make sure they know I might need basic help moving things (lights, etc). But otherwise they are on their own. Oh, and I tell them to never be taking the same shot as me, or even be at a similar angle unless they are on a really different focal length. We also match up styles.

Also and most importantly, I make sure that I am the only point of contact for the couple's photographic needs. So there are never to be multiple galleries, etc, sent to the couple. And the reason why I will not work with that one 2nd shooter again is because he was getting too involved in the shooting, would not stop, and I asked him to leave.

Yes, I should work with contracts more often. So far the opportunity has been worth it to the 2nd shooter.

Ironically, there is one person with whom I've worked...3 times with, now, I think, who is good, good at editing, and very professional. I might need to start paying her more...