Old film or bad processing?

I've had two rolls processed by the local Rite-Aid. They're not critical photos

by any definition; I just shot them around town for fun.

However, the majority of them have come back with lots of noise and pretty low

contrast.

Here's the question: since the photos were only for fun, I shot them on some

rolls of film which expired about ten years ago and were kept in a refrigerator.

I'm wondering whether these problems are caused by using old Kodak Gold Max 800

film or by bad processing? Or possibly both?

More generally, what are typical symptoms of bad film? Bad processing? I

generally shoot digital, so I'm new to this.<div>00PJeE-43179484.jpg.bdbefc8b2c5cdee707db759b6cc69f2b.jpg</div>

It's only recently that Kodak has made 800 speed color films with good keeping properties. It's not just chemical deterioration (which can be slowed by refrigeration or freezing), it's cosmic ray damage, and they've improved that in their latest Portra 800.

The graininess is probably both a symptom of the aging, and of the associated loss of film speed, which means you underexposed it as well.

It must be your old film. I routinely take my color & b/w film to a local RITE AID store, and the technicians develop and process it on the mini-lab, and 99/100 the prints come out fine. But i'm very careful to only buy film thats well within the expiration time. I get very good results with a common type like Fuji ISO 200 Color, or sometimes HQ Color. I also refridgerate the new film the same day its bought, pull out a roll at a time to use, and take it to Rite Aid the same day or next day after I finish the roll. I also try to be careful never to leave the camera & film in the car, where it might get too hot, since its not always possible to park in the shade. If necessary, I take the camera & case with me, when i go in store & places, just to keep that camera & film relatively cool, at least at moderate temps. But, my experience has been quite positive using Rite-Aid mini-labs for 4x6 prints, though I have not tried them for enlargements. (yet).