Black and White Developing Question

I am new to Black and White Photography. I recently purchased TMax 400 B&W film and was

wondering what labs can process this film. I live in Connecticut. Does anyone know of any labs in CT

that will process this film? I know I cant just take it to Walmart to be developed.

Thank You

Mike

The challenge is to find a lab who uses B&W chemistry like what is needed for your

TMax film. Labs are set up to process B&W film suited for color processing.

You may need mail order to a lab such as A&I in L.A.

As mentioned consider developing yourself.

You need a tank to develop the film.

Developer

Stop Bath or water

Fixer.

Also a thermometer for temp. and beakers for measuring the stuff.

A dark place to load the film into the tank. A place with water and a sink.

Find a place perhaps at your community ed and try it out. Fun!

Hope this helps you!

Best.

As many of us have found, these days it is hard to find a B&W processor. Even in my college town with a pretty well-known film program, the local camera store will only find you a student who will process your film for you for a fee. One choice is to shoot C-41 chemistry film (which can still be processed at lots of places like Walgreens, albeit poorly) and scan it in and covert to B&W, if desired. The alternative is to develop your own B&W, and be aware that you will need to store chemicals and so forth, so this is not something you can do three times a year and come out ahead. B&W film can be done, however, by anybody with a changing bag and some tanks.

Without scanning, you will also need an enlarger (they are often sold these days for very cheap prices on eBay, although shipping will be expensive), and a darkroom setup.

Another alternative to Ebay is that if a local newspaper or other publication that formally maintained a darkroom, but went digital still has an enlarger, they might give it to you or sell it at a bargain just to get rid of it. Maybe a high school that used to print its on yearbook photos is another source. Some places tend to hang on to stuff so good luck. I'm still trying to talk our local paper out of their Bessler 23C for which no one left on staff there has a clue as to how to use it. Nor do they have chemicals. And their prospects for ever using their Ektamatic print processor are laughable at best. Yet still they say they "might need it."

Another question:

Is it that hard to get B/W processing in the US? You can (still) send your B/W via a grocery store photo service on just about every corner around here (The Netherlands). They do a half decent job too.

Yes, that's traditional B/W, not C41. The question is, for how long?

Mike,

I live in CT and just started 3 months ago with MF B&W. There's a place in New Haven called PhotoLand that is good my what everyone told me. I used them for my 1st 7 rolls of 645 B&W.

http://www.photolandonline.com/Location.html

But as others have said, it is very easy to do B&W yourself and so I develop myself and bought an Epson V750M and scan myself. Then I just take the SD card to Walgreens (uses Fuji) or Walmart (uses Fuji and Kodak) for printing.

PhotoLand took 4 days to print contact sheets and 5 prints. They do a lot of local student developing and printing. The B&W guys name is John.

But to be honest, if I were you, I'd develop myself. It's all about time, temperature, and agitation (inversing the cylindar in your hands).