Help Me Choose.. Please! XSi or 40D

bob_huston

Hello, I suspect this has been driven into the ground by now... but seeings how

I've read, and read, (and read) information on the Canon 40D, and the newly

released XSi, and I'm still in a quandry about what to buy. I have owned an XT,

and an XTi (both for less than a year) and taken both to Florida and Arizona on

vacation trips. I mostly shoot nature shots, .. landscapes, butterflies, flowers,

those kind of things, .. using a Canon 28-135mm IS lens, a Canon 70-300mm IS

lens, and a Tamron18-200mm regular lens. Being in my 60's, with retirement, and

limited finances in mind, I will probably only buy one more camera, and I want to

get this correct.

Like most photographers, (I think), image quality is my goal. However, I have a lot

of questions about which way to go between the two. The 40D is considered an

entry level to pro camera. Sounds great, but it's also heavier, and larger to fit in

my small hands. Is this camera something I will want to drag to Cancun in June,

on my next vacation? But, I don't want to sacrifice some potentially great shots

just because I didn't want to carry something bigger and heavier. I'm used to the

layouts of the previous Rebel releases, but could learn the dials on the 40D if I had

one. I like taking no flash shots too, .. and I wonder about the higher ISO

capabilities. ...........and on, and on I go!

The only reviews I've seen about the XSi are "pre-release" reviews, so i don't

know how that camera is really measuring up. Assuming the lenses I own will fit

on either camera, and considering I want a camera I may have to stick with, .. can

someone give me some meaningful advice on which I should buy. Down inside I

think I'm open to either one, .. but I just don't know .... please help!

You seem to always jump to the latest and greatest camera offerings in the entry level class - may I ask why? What was it that the XT and XTi didn;t deliver? I suspect that you are looking for the magic bullet which does not exist! I doubt that IQ will be all that different between the 40D and the XSi. The 40D is more geared toward the serious pro-sumer who needs the advanced controls and the higher frame rate amongst other things.

This same question comes up all the time - do a search and you will find lots of good advice.

The question you need to ask yourself though is why you can't seem to be happy with the cameras you own(d).

If you still have the XTi, stick with it. It's great for travel and vacations snaps. There will

only be a minor IQ improvement with the XSi. 40D IQ is basically just like your XTi, albeit a

little better noise control and an extra stop of high ISO. If you need 6.5FPS, a big 'n bright

VF, constantly monkey with EC and FEC and need faster and more accurate AF, get the

40D. The better AF, larger buffer, more external controls and pentaprism will be worth the

upgrade.

If you don't use the BG-E2N, the 40D is relatively compact and lightweight.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"Sounds great, but it's also heavier, and larger to fit in my small hands."

OK, that's a consideration but it still sounds like maybe you have not actually held each of them in your hands side by side. I suggest you do that and your answer may be obvious. There's no right or wrong here. But there's a pretty big difference in size, weight and feel.

Is there a reason you moved up from the XT to the Xti? Are you unhappy with the Xti? What features do you really miss?

I have always been of the belief that the first step when deciding between the XT/Xti/Xsi series and the 20/30/40D series is to go into a local camera store and play with them both. Then decide what features you want and whether the price difference is worth it.

If you have already done that and still can't decide and don't mind spending the extra money, then I'd get the 40D - particularly if you are going to keep the Xti as a second body.

Would you rather have great photos or a great camera? If quality photos are your objective, why not look at samples taken by both cameras, and see which you prefer. That's how I got started with Canon. A friend took some photos that I liked, so I bought the same camera she had.

"I have owned an XT, and an XTi (both for less than a year)"

It's just my opinion. But, I feel your trade-ups from model to model excessive. You should be trading up every second model. Unless, each successsive model is a "major" improvement on IQ. I still have the XT and have no reason to sell it yet. But, that's just me.

You should spend your money however you want. Get the 40D. I doubt you would ever regret doing so. All you will get from the title of your post is the classic Ford/Chevy arguement. Ever heard from anyone that owns a 40D and got rid of it to buy an Xt/Xti/Xsi? They are all great cameras for sure. If you can afford it, get the 40D. As others have mentioned, the lenses are more important. Factor some quality glass into your budget. That means "L" glass.

If image quality is your main criterion and you don't shoot action sports and similar, I

suspect that the advantages of the 40D would be wasted, while the advantages of the XSi

might be a bit relevant.

If you were happy with the functionality of the XT and XTi you'll be equally or slightly more

pleased with the XSi.

Dan

As we get older we all have our wants and needs, myself not far behind you find that these lighter bodies difficult to krep steady, always had MF and highend for biz, some folks can`y hold heavier bodies, only you know whats easier for you, If you can get to a store hold each model with eyes closed and feel which is more comfy, Don`t hand it back just stand talkin for a while. Does not take long to know.

Now that you have used entry level Dslr`s, were you limited in the pics you took. The 40D is lightweight to me but for you I feel a step up the ladder. Slightly better IQ as far as high ISO noise which really should not worry much. the focus is better (have not seen new Xsi) but now older the AF accuracy is important to me. Do you feel it will help you in the next 5yr.

With what you have the IQ can be improve with a better lens, the 28 135 is a fine lens, I`ve had one since it was introduced but beleive me when I say you will SEE a big difference just by usings a 17 55 f2.8IS or 24 105f4 IS and I`m sure many will back me up. Even my lil Tamron 17 50 2.8 is clearly on top.

Just my 03 HTH :)

FWIW, I'm thinking of an XSI. Should be a nice upgrade from my 20D. Certainly don't

need the "best," FF, etc. The idea of a smaller and lighter body is appealing cuz I mostly

shoot one-handed.- and a 3" LCD will be s much nicer on my eyes.

Any views on expecting at least a small improvement on DR and high ISO noise?

www.citysnaps.net

Bob,

I'm 75 and made this same decision. I selected the 40D, because the viewfinder is easier on my old eyes, the LCD can be used for focusing when taking macros, and the auto focus is better. Since the 40D has spot metering I no longer carry my old pentax spot meter. I have been using an XT (now my backup) and I found that the 40D will fit in the same camera bag as I used for the XT. Determine why you need a new camera and the choice will be obvius. If it is not; you may want to keep what you have.

Jim

Hey everyone, I'm amazed at the responses. his is me, Bob, the quy who submitted the question. Some clarity here, I laughed when i read the "Why can't you be happy with the cameras you own" guess it struck me as the truth. Although I DO take a lot of pictures, I have mused in wondering if I am more into camera sales than photography! (ha ha)

Sad to say, I've already sold my XTi, so I have to make a purchase. Otherwise, my collection of three lenses aren't good for much. Some speak of quality glass. Isn't Canon's own IS lenses quality? What is a quality lens if not those?

So back to the original question, which to buy? Hmm.

Hey BoB ! I believe you are no longer novice in this field. So, this quarry is not expected of you. You said you have XTi. Stick to it for a while. All Canon D SLRs are great so far as picture quality is concerned. Next, shift from the APS-C to the full frame Sensor DSLR. Hopefully we may see in near future a revised version of EOS 5D- the entry level full frame DSLR from Canon.

Obviously nobody actually read Bob's update posts. He clarified not once but twice that

he sold his cameras and therefore has no camera whatsoever. In that case, if it was me,

I'd get the 40D for the better VF (larger & brighter), better AF (all crosses), faster frame

rate and additional external controls. The beefier build and increased grip area are nice

too.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I moved up from an original digital rebel 300 to a 40D last fall. No regrets. The camera size difference was really no big deal for my 52 year old hands. :)

Puppy Face hit it spot on: Much faster frame rate, very good high ISO / low noise, brighter viewfinder, and the larger LCD are the biggest benefits for me. I had expected those benefits when I made the purchase and was not disappointed.

Unexpected benefits that I have come to appreciate: Live View is very nice for macro shots - on a tripod using manual focus, I can get excellent sharpness. Two dials instead of one (mainly for doing exposure compensation in AV mode) was very easy to learn and now I can't imagine going back to the old way. And I really like the 3 extra custom mode settings.

L glass and the 5D would be great to have, but some of us just can't afford them (yet). Doesn't mean you still can't capture some great memories with "lesser" equipment.

Thanks for the clarification, Bob.

Sounds like you are stuck. You have 3 lenses which you can also sell because they overlap each other in focal lengths.

Like a clean divorce, I would sell everything Canon and start with a clean slate in your case and hopefully get it right for now.

Aside from the obvious choice of the 40D and "larger" and better IQ 5D, have you looked at Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony. Or, perhaps, the Canon G9 for the sake of portability and simplicity for the time being?