Rolleiflex 3.5F types

obede

On Ebay you will find some people who list their Rollei as 3.5F just because the lens is an

f3.5. When in fact the camera might be pre F. I believe the first type 3.5F had the

capability of using a flat glass back while the second type could use the back and take 220

film. Then the third type could take 220 film but not the flat glass back. In any case if the

condition is good the quality is equal between all of them and the optional lenses, Xenotar

and Planar, are equal as well.

The defining feature of an F model is a fully coupled exposure meter.

Honestly, if the original poster is looking for a shooter, don't obsess over which particular model, lens, small details. Buy the one in the best condition possible and be happy. I've shot and owned Rollei's dating back to 1930 and in my experience, there are NO bad ones. Just degrees of excellent!

According to Claus Prochnow's Rollei Report there is a change in lens design from a five

element lens to six (Planars starting from ser.nr. 2.753.002, Xenotar numbers are not listed,

but change has taken place here too) with the third model 3.5 F (from 1960 on). Otherwise

there are many minor changes between the three versions. First version has aperture/time

interlock.