New homepage/navigation bar design is up and running...

As you can all see, the new homepage and navigation bar design is up and

running. I personally think it's a nice evolution of the classic photo.net

"style". Plus it makes it easier to use the dropdown menus, ads a lot of

functionality to the homepage, and encourages casual visitors to dig deeper and

explore the images and resources that we have on the site.

If you haven't already, please read my recent email that talks about some site

upgrades and changes. It includes an interesting set of images that show

photo.net's homepage design over the past decade:

http://www.photo.net/info/mailings/apr08letter

As I mention in the letter, we are working on a number of different projects to improve/upgrade photo.net. And YES, fixing the performance issues is one of those things. But as I have mentioned in the past, just because we release a new feature or make a change, don't think that we are putting off the server work in order to do so. Different people have different jobs around here. The graphic design guy is a nice fellow, but I doubt we want him doing the electrical re-wiring on the rackmount for the new server hardware.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>"But arn't you worried that the new features will slow down the page?"</i>

<p>

They shouldn't slow it down. That stuff is all taken into consideration when doing a graphical redesign. Plus, there is the fact that the "old" way of doing things on photo.net isn't always the most efficient. So projects like this allow us to tweak the programming to improve things as well.

<p>

And of course, as I want to keep reminding people, the calvary is on the way. New server hardware will be up and running in the very near future.

Guys, I can't make this happen on my Windows IE install. Have you tried closing IE and then restarting it again? It seems like the browser is stuck looking at two different versions of the site or something.

OMG! It really does look great! Can't take eyes of it :P

The only things I would change would be making the icons next to names a little bit smaller and similar color. I have also noticed that answer windows is smaller now. Its size was just perfect before.

Well done! New site is just beautiful.

The IE problem should be fixed now. There was a bit of code that was making some forum headers act screwy. So I must not have been on those particular forums when I was testing.

Let me know if the problems aren't corrected. You may have to do the shift-refresh thing again.