Why do they have to call it "Rebel"

Sanford

Along with Nikons I've owned a lot of Canon film cameras over the years, various FTB's, F1, A1, AT1,

EOS RT, and several excellent Canon point and shoots. What turned me off to Canon was when they

started naming their USA models "Rebel". I just could never bring myself to carry around a camera called

a Rebel. It might have had something to do with that tennis player they had promoting it, Andre Aggasi I

think. The new Canon 450D looks like a heck of a camera, but again they will probably call it "Rebel"

here. Bad marketing in my opinion.

It's probably a good dose of market research as to what name will appeal to the local population. I agree it sounds a bit naf, but then I'm in the UK so I don't own Rebels of any varieties, just a 350D amongst other bodies. Rebel is a better name than "Kiss"!

Sanford,

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Americans generally respond better to named products, rather than numbered products. I think it was in the context of the automotive market, where only luxury imports (and a handful of domestic mid-high range vehicles) are described only by numbers in the US. My guess is that market research suggested to Canon that the American consumer camera market was more likely to purchase a camera that was named, rather than numbered. At this point, where the cameras are Rebel XXx names, it almost seems excessive, but I'm sure they're sticking to it for a reason.

Why does the name of the camera bother you so much? Does the name make it take worse pictures? ;)

I would buy the Canon "KISS" if it were suitable otherwise. The name is the least relevent consideration for buying a camera. You are not buying it for the same reasons some other people are buying it: A reaction to marketing campaign themes that have nothing to do with cameras in general.

As to naming - every American secretly thinks of himself as a rebel. That's why such bad movies are often so popular here, if they have a rebellious theme, even ifthey are terrible.

Me - I don't care what they call it.I just wish it were the same everywhere.

Chevy learned a lesson in Naming years ago. They had a good car that wouldn't sell in Spanish speaking countries. It was the Nova ("No go" in Spanish). So names often do make a difference.

For reasons known only to Canon's know-it-all marketeers, their entry-level DSLRs will be sold in North America under the <i>Rebel</i> name, suffixed with an increasingly absurd series of letters (does <i>X<b>S</b>i</i> really sound newer than <i>X<b>T</b>i</i>?).

<p>But that doesn't mean you have to call it that. I refer to my now-senescent Rebel XT by its European name, "350D." It sounds better to me, and it's easier to type.

When Carroll Shelby was searching for a name for his first hot rodded Mustang, he asked

somebody how far it was from where they were to the shop. "About 350 feet". Hence the

name, GT350 (and the rest, as they say, is history!) When asked why he named it like that, he

said, "If it's a good car, the name won't matter. If it's a bad car, the name won't save it."

And the Rebel is a good camera.

Who cares? I actually had to go look at my xTi to see what the nameplate says. Also, Andre Aggasi didn't convince me to buy the camera - it was my on-line and in-store research (along with my budget)that convinced me.

Rebel is probably not a good "international" name since depending on where in the world you are, a rebel may be a good guy or a bad guy. Canon has sold tons here in the U.S. though, so they may know our collective psyche better than we would like. On the other hand if you have read very many Asian product manuals, you know that English words don't always mean the same thing to all peoples. Non-conformist is too long to fit, likewise is disenchanted :-/ The key issue is that the body is too dang small for a proper name. Why did Canon downsize from an already compact film body? I have big gnarly fingers. There is no way I can hold, let alone operate an xti/450D. I had to go to the 30D just to be able to hold onto it. And I don't even like digital! My Elan(?)7Ne lets me take B&W and color slides that I prefer to digital. I guess I'm just a rebel. Not the original kind of rebel that would give their life for a cause... more like the modern kind of rebel that whines and grumbles! It's all in a name. And mine is Brad. Good Day!

It's to pander to the apparent collective mentality of a country whose inhabitants would elect something like Gee Dubyah,and who are - as far as I can tell - the *only* ones who use phrases like "I just pulled the trigger on..." to communicate the fact that they've just *bought* a camera.