Learning classic cameras repair

riz

Hello,

I am very much interested in learning repair of classic cameras. I wish someone

could give me some advise how to start with.

I have thought of getting a faulty camera (probably Canon Demi) and learn

repairing in the guaidance of some expert. I beleive jumping right to SLRs

would be too much for a beginner.

What do you say about it? Also please let me know about this idea. Is that

workable? Did I choose a correct camera to start with etc.

Looking forward for your advise.

Regards,

Rizwan

It is a very interesting pursuit. Requires a lot of curiosity, patience to make mistakes and try again and again until you get it right. Unlike many machines cameras do not have specifications available, so easily to except to some factory licensed service centers. So you have to learn your way through experimenting and documenting.

SLRs are not that difficult to work on. Only you have to focus on one or two typical makes/models. Try the following books for reference and guidance. (1) Thomas Tomosy, Camera Maintenance & Repair, Book 1 [you can read a preview from Google books]and (2)Edward H.Romney, Revised Basis Training in Camera Repair [smaller preview is available from the website <www.edromney.com>. Mr Romney passed away, His wife runs the business].

Both Tomosy and Romney were experts but not good writers or teachers. So you will find the books going all over the place in a condensed fashion. It is almost like reading in telegraphic English.

I am not putting them down. On the contrary, their knowledge was so wide that they had difficulty expressing it for (a) beginners and (b) within the confines of a single publishable/salable volume.

Sure make a good beginning. But keep patience and enjoy it! Let me know if you wish to exchange some more info with a colleague! I would be happy to interact. There are others like Rick Oleson and Myles Upton from whom I have learned a lot. But they are more into German Cameras, I think.

Those are all good sources referenced in this thread.

You might consider studying watch repair too.

A better beginning camera for teaching yourself repairs would be one that's even more common than the Demi, for which lots of cheap bodies are available to cannibalize for parts. Good candidates might include the Pentax Spotmatic and K1000, Canon TX, Minolta SRT-101, etc.

I wouldn't consider myself a qualified repair tech but I've successfully repaired a few bodies and several lenses for my own use, including one of the earlier Minolta electronic models which I got working again by cannibalizing parts from an identical model that was damaged. I've stripped a couple of Agfa Isolette 6x6 folders down to every last part and successfully reassembled one. The only problem with the other was the fragile fiber diaphragm/shutter which had crumbled from age.

You'll need steady hands, lots of patience and good work habits, including documenting every step. It's a good idea to use a digital camera to take snapshots of each step.

Years ago I was a camera repairman. Everything from instamatics, slide and movie projectors, polaroid to rangefinders and slr's. I'd say the camera's to start with are simple instamatic's. Tons available and who cares if you tear off a plate that didn't need removed! I've never been a big fan of Romney's books but they are a source of information. 35's are a bit more difficult expecially when you get into circuit boards. Miles Upton has a great repair manual for Exakta's, probably the most intricate mechanical camera's I've ever torn into. Start with simple things and if you are still interested in doing repairs move up from there.

"A few words that should *never* appear anywhere in proximity to the words "camera," "lens" and "repair," unless prominently accompanied by the warning "NOT" or "NEVER":

WD-40, 3-in-1 Oil, Windex, gasoline, hammer."

Don't agree at all. They all have their use in camera repair. Only thing is have to use them in the right place at the right time in the correct way.

Heck, Johan, I'm always up for a challenge.

Can you offer any specific circumstances when it's appropriate to use WD-40 on a camera or lens? More appropriate than another solvent that won't leave a persistent oily residue that infiltrates every nook and cranny and eventually deteriorate certain plastics, synthetics and adhesives?

Can you suggest a use for 3-in-1 Oil that wouldn't be better served with the correct lubricant?

I suppose Windex could be used to dampen a soft cloth for wiping down a camera body. Wouldn't be my first choice. It certainly shouldn't be used on optical elements.

Gasoline? That's a "NOT" and a "NEVER," period, no exceptions. Ever see anyone burned to death? Or so badly burned it's a miracle they survived? I have. Several times.

Hammer? Maybe a fine hammer for peening out dents from damaged floor plates. That's about all.

Hello,

Thanks for the posts, much informing.

Are Pentax Spotmatic and K1000, Canon TX, Minolta SRT-101 point and shoot cameras? Also please tell me are they pure mechnical and manual cameras?

Also if some guide me for the basic tools.

Regards,

Rizwan

The cameras I mentioned are all manual 35mm SLRs, not P&S. The only electronic/electrical components are for the light meter. Otherwise they're all mechanical and mostly metal. The Canon AE-1, also a common camera, would have more electronics but is still mostly mechanical.

www.micro-tools.com is a good site for tools and related materials.

Rizwan, you may also want to check your local Radio-Shack or equivalent store for tools like miniature screw driver sets, etc. They may be less expensive. I bought a biology instruments set with pincers etc., from a neighborhood school supply shop. They are good for picking up small screws, or even holding cotton to swab the innards of the camera! The set cost me $2. Micro tools will be expensive for such things, plus the postage! Compare prices. Some Super Markets also sell watch repair tools! Sears used to be good for those things. Unfortunately, they are not in such business, I guess. Best wishes!

You should also consider a set of jewelers files to custom shape screwdrivers to fit tiny screws as perfectly as possible. This minimizes the risk of slipping and damaging the slots. If you look at a set of gunsmith screwdrivers they are always hollow ground. Ordinary screwdrivers have angled sides with do not mate properly with the parallel sides of screw slots.

With a set of files you can even make a screwdriver or other tools from blanks of mild steel, brass or aluminum.