Any drawbacks to Value Ram for photoshop CS3?

I'm not aware of differences in the ram chips themselves between value ram and standard modules. ECC RAM would be different, but is rarely used/recommended in non-server computers.

If you're not overclocking, there's little point in premium non-ECC ram. Look for a lifetime warranty. And after insertion, download and run Memtest. Any problems will be revealed there.

RAM today is cheap. You can order Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, or Crucial RAM from either newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com at very reasonable prices. The "sweet spots" seem to be either PC2-6400 or PC2-8500 modules.

As Kory pointed out, the difference is reliability. I had some "value" RAM fail in my computer. The results were not pretty. Before I figured out what was happening, corrupt files were written (the data, not executables, resided in the bad RAM so bad data was written). It was not worth it.

It also makes it very difficult to track down what you suspect may be a problem, as many of the problems exhibited by out-of-spec ram (or even 'reject' ram that has found its way back onto the market somehow, eg, on ebay) are by nature categorised as an intermittent fault.

As everybody knows, the defining characteristic of an intermittent fault is that it will work perfectly when you show it to a technician or engineer, but as soon as you get it back to your desk, it starts exhibiting the fault again.

Here I have little issues with value ram; I think you mean the office box store stuff? One can log on to crucial memory and buy ram thats a great value for you box; their site can identify the variant too if you need some oddball stuff. Here I recently added ram to several computers buying it from crucial. One was a box that holds 8gigs; another a one that holds 2 gigs.

It depends what you mean by "Value RAM".

Lots of the respected manufactures have Value lines (Kingston and Corsair spring to mind) and if you not going to overclock and are on a budget these should be fine.

What I would stay away from is the unbranded or when retailers claim "Major brand".