monochromekx

Things are finally beginning to show some life in my yard. This is a Red Bud

tree. I have tried to compose as other images I have studied. Please comment

as you will, but I am most interested in clor and composition. I know this is

not as sharp as it could be - I handheld a Viv S1 105/2.5 macro in the wind

(tomorrow I will use a tripod). The image is in my workspace under single

photos folder. If you need exif data we'll have to talk - I'm going ot dinner

and I will post that after.

f/4.5 @ 1/50 AV mode IS) 400 no flash SR on at 100mm manual focus set.

K10D w/ Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 macro

Thanks in advance

It's a very nice shot and subject. The colours are very good as is the exposure. The background is very good with a nice, smooth out of focus blur and few highlights. i really like that you included the new leaf bud on the end of the branch. This makes the shot.

Suggestions for tomorrow. Watch the composition. Sometimes we get too interested in how close we are and forget the overall picture. The upper left part of the branch is too close to the edge of the frame. Same with the bud on the right side which is partly cut off. If you intend to print and frame a shot, you need some space along the sides for matting. Even a dry mount image should not have the subject that close to the edges.

You've mentioned the focus and I assume the hand held/windy conditions cause the focus point to be on the branch just in front of the buds. Hand held macros are possible but tougher. The thing you need to consider with many macro shots is to stop the lens down more. Shooting at f4.5 is often just too wide open for this type of shot. This is where the tripod comes in and also a possibly a reflector to get more natural light on the subject. White cardboard will do fine. If you can get the lens down to f10 or more, you will have more of the buds in the DOF range and a better overall image.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone.

Peter - thanks, it is very helpful. I forgot about the reflector to allow the smaller aperture. Boy is there a lot to remember! I made some of those comments in my notes to myself. I sort of knew about the framing/border issue, but not why. You have thought in advance about the final print rather than shooting big and cropping (I think you mentioned that on another board, or someone else did) and now I have another challenge! <grin>

Dave - ah, yes, but with a tripod I can stand there for a loooong tme waiting for the breeze to stop for a moment. I tried to "trap focus", but the focus spot (that is, my hand) moved to the branch and the shutter fired.

This is really fun - even not sharp the printed image is very pretty - shame that it isn't better. I have a few dozen more to work with - maybe another is sharper.

Adam - I majored in English Language (so long ago that I have forgotten everything) - you are forgiven, in advance.

Thanks again everyone.

I would use an **off camera** flash or a small light reflector and around F8 and 1/125-1/180 for such a photo Paul if light is insufficient instead of a tripod. Try to not cut off important parts. 1/50 is too slow for a plant moving in the wind and a tele lens as well. About the only thing I like here so far is the OOF rendering, not the colors, and certainly not the composition.