cory_zerkee

Hello fellow Pentaxians;

I just have a question for those of you who have used one or all of the

following lenses. I currently have an FA 28-70mm f/4, a FA 50mm f/1.4 (I love

this lens), and a Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5~5.6 for my K10D. I am looking for a

faster zoom lens for normal use. I use the Tokina for bird shooting, and it's

worked fine thus far.

I was wondering which would you suggest picking up being there is only a $50

price difference (give or take) between the three.

1) Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 SDM

2) Sigma EX DG 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM II

2) Sigma EX DG 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II

I would assume the Pentax is the better lens, but with the 1.4x tele the Sigmas

would be more bang for the buck, and I THINK they still retain autofocus with

the Sigma EX tele.

Thanks!

I don't own the Pentax but have had a day with it and there's no doubt it's a stellar lens. The SDM and weather seals are an added plus.

I do own the older Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX (non Macro version) and this lens can hold up to the Pentax without question IMO. Image quality is sharp and very good colour and contrast. Absolutely no complaints with the lens.

Hope that offers some insight.

The Pentax is absolutely a fine fine fine lens.

Normally all things being equal I opt for the better priced lens. Not a Pentax only type person, I have sigmas, vivitars, tokinas (no tamrons) in my lens collection and use them all.

I have to say the I cannot imagine the Sigmas being better than the Pentax optically or build wise.

However, you list 3 lenses and now we must play a game.

Which of the 3 is not the same?

Yep, the Sigma 70-200 is a vastly different lens than the 50-135/150. So you now have to decide if a "traditional" 70-200mm is what you need , aka, the 50-135/150 combo, or if you need a 100-300 2.8, aka the 70-200.

Personally I wish the Pentax was a 50-150 rather than 135. I find it's just a little short at times but it's such a good lens I really cannot complain. I'm sure the Sigma makes some compromises to get that extra 15mm as nothing in lens design comes without compromise.

I owned the Sigma 50-150 (first version) for my retired EOS and currently have the Pentax 50-135. IQ wise it's a coin flip between the two they are both amazing lenses. Weather sealing on the Pentax aside build quality is also pretty evenly matched. Since the Sigma only has a ring type HSM focus motot it's only useful on a K100d super / K10d forward: Where the Pentax will work on any crop sensor Pentax Body. But in theory the Sigma ring style USM should be a bit faster with autofocus then the Pentax sonic micro motor. The same is true of the new Sigma 70-200. Where the new screw drive Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 provides compatibility with nearly all Pentax digital / film bodies.

I've had many a times where I wish my 50-135 had a bit more reach. Oh and the matched Sigma TC while only usable on some Sigma lenses is absolutely excellent. (That last comment is from my EOS experience... you'll want to verify Sigma TC compatibility with their Pentax HSM only lenses.

It's a tough call, from a build and IQ stand point you can't go wrong. So for me it's a compatibility / focal length question.

/Roger