I know that nothing compares to an L lens and I have long dreamt of the day

that I would join that club, but I also know that photography, and especially

the "art" of photography is so much more than optical image quality. To me the

advantages of the 28-135 over the 24-70L are significant. Namely, size and

weight, and price. I really don't have a problem with spending the extra $800

on the L but I know that going with the $400 28-135 would do wonders for my

marriage. Either way I don't anticipate being selected as a photo of the week

anytime soon, and I don't think the 24-70L would give me any more of an edge in

that pursuit anyways. The photographer is the guy behind the camera right?

So why should I buy the L lens?

Take a look at the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 lens. I have it and it takes pictures that are just as sharp as my 70-220mm L series lens. Read the reviews for yourself. Plus it is the same price range as the 28-135.

I also have the 28-135 IS. In my opinion the IS isnt as useful and the 2.8 aperture in low light. You wont regret getting a fixed aperture lens whether it is the Tamron or an L series.

Depends on how important IQ is to you compared to convience/price. Having once owned the 28-135 I can say that it's a good all around performer, but not spectacular, a good amature lens but one I would not buy again. The L lens should be much better and is the one I would buy if I were in your position.

I would second the Tamron 28-75 2.8 over the Canon 28-135. I had both lenses and the

Tamron out performs the Canon 28-135. The Canon 24-70 is an amazing lens but its very

heavy so if your not doing this to make money its a lot of lens to carry around.

I do agree you will probably want something wider as well since 28 is pretty long on a crop

body. If you have a good idea here let me know I have been struggling with this myself.

With "... old kit lens...", I assume you don't have a Full Frame DSLR.

If budget is tight, go with the cheaper version.

Otherwise EFS 17-55 2.8 IS will be a better choice over EF 24 -70 2.8 due to IS, if you can live with trading the long end 55-70 for the short end 17-24.

Unless EF 24-70 IS version is available, I believe the choice between 17-55 2.8 IS and EF 24-70 2.8 non-IS is obvious. And the 17-55 has a cheaper price tag is an add-on bonus.

i2 - I disagree. I don't think IS is that important at that range. also the 24-70 is built much

better, its also EF so it will work on all cameras if you do upgrade. I have been having this

same debate and I just cannot bring myself to spend $1000 on a EF-S lens that has just

decent build quality when I can buy an L for about the same price. Either way I still don't

think the IS is the deal breaker here.

There are many great lenses that cost (and weigh!) considerably less than the 24-70/2.8L. Tamron 28-75/2.8 is one, the latest Sigma 18-50/2.8 seems to be another, not to forget Canon 17-40/4L. If you can accept some compromises my guess is that anyone of those, perhaps paired with a 50/1.8, will serve you well.

I recently bought the L being discussed here, and don't regret it at all. I am an amateur, but it always bothered me that when I took a great shot, that the IQ wasn't as good as it could have been. Now I don't have to worry about it - that, to me, is worth the extra bucks if you can afford it.

However, it really is a heavy lens. Good luck.

Tommy,

We are certainly talking about trade-offs.

To me, L typically means super image quality. Build quality and RED rings are certainly add-on bonuses. However, I am not using even my $50 lens as a hammer. In this case, I don't believe there is any image difference between EFS 17-55 2.8 and EF 24-70 2.8.

As to IS, even you consider it important, just "not that important" to you "at that range". Well, you certainly have a point in terms of range.

However, when we talk about 2.8 and IS, we are talking about pushing the limit as to what can be done using the lens. After all, if all Greg needs is taking a couple of picture at f8 and f11 on a sunny day, his "... old kit lens..." will do just as good. He doesn't even need to spend $400 on the 28-135. I am sure that will do more "... wonders for marriage ..."

Thanks.

"I recently bought the L being discussed here, and don't regret it at all. I am an amateur, but it always bothered me that when I took a great shot, that the IQ wasn't as good as it could have been. Now I don't have to worry about it - that, to me, is worth the extra bucks if you can afford it. "

This was exactly my situation & experience as well. People often say "it's not the equipment, it's the photographer that makes the difference" - but in my humble opinion it's both; with photography the limitations and errors are all cumulative - and - the worse your equipment, the more you're trying to compensate for it all the time - and for me that's a major distraction.

After getting my first L-series lens (the very same EF 24-70 F2.8L USM that you're considering), I made the conscious decision that from now on "it's L-Series" or nothing" - I've never waivered from that and I've never regretted it either. And I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Will you need other lenses? Probably. But I'd still suggest srarting with the 24-70 and then start aiming for one of it's "big brothers" from the 70-200 family.

Cheers,

Colin

photo.net/photos/colinsouthern

Life's too short for even any half-way serious Canon shooter not to own the 24-70 2.8L. It's simple Zen for us Canon people, indeed.

So yes, start with the 24-70 and then work around either side of its focal length once you're familiar with what the 24-70 can do for you. Lenses like that last a LONG TIME (outlast several generations of DSLRs) and you will not ever regret purchasing it.

Greg, everyone's reverse engineering what you're shooting with, do clue them in, it is a factor.

Regardless of the crop factor, the 24-70 is a good pick, tho it really shines on full frame. It's heavy, doesn't have IS, other than that it's a top lens: fast, sharp, good contrast. Also, a very good "near macro" lens.

I don't know about every body else but I own a Canon 24-70mm 2.8L and I can tell you that

this is a superb lens. If image quality and build are both important to you this is the lens for

you. You just can not go wrong with this lens.

24-70 is a great investment, its a fantastic lens you will not regret buying it, but make sure

you get a good copy (mine went back twice). Don't worry about the crop factor as that just

make the lens great for portraits. The 24-70 is the last lens I would ever part with.

The 70-200 f/2.8L IS is definately my next purchase. As my marriage can only handle so much, I don't think this will be until 2009 sometime. After that I will be looking to pick up the 16-35 f/2.8L to complete the stable of Ls. Its a good thing that L lenses are such good long term investments since it will take me a few years to collect them all. I plan on adding the 50 f/1.4 USM and the 85 f/1.8 USM to the family along the way as I can probably slide these lesser purchases in right after a good mother's day or birthday present.

Once I have the glass then I will be looking at a full frame body. By that time the 5D will have been replaced with something even more spectacular and given the time frame I have in mind, the 5D's replacement will even be affordable by then.

Thanks all for talking sense into me. I'm sure that the 24-70 L will be the best investment I can make at this point.