help with night shooting

jbeach

Tomorrow night should be a full moon, would like to try to get some good shots,

but do not really know about the settings, I purchased a Olympus E500 digital

slr camera after having a point and shoot,and really need some help. Thanks

One thing to remember is to use fast glass or at least shoot about a stop or so from wide open to let in as much light as possible. One of your biggest enemies at night is noise due to either high ISO or long exposures or a combination of the two. Try playing around with your settings and experimenting a little, after all, that is one of the many benefits to digital. Also, dont be afraid to play with long exposures, you really get some neat effects with clouds this way. Have fun, night photography can make for some very fun times!

Jackie, one of the nice things about photographing the full moon is you have a few days to experiment. However, my settings are a bit different than what Thomas suggested.

The first thing you need is a long lens, 200mm minimum but 400mm or more is much better. Also, you need a tripod or other very good support. A cable release also is helpful.

Here's a shot from last year. It was 1/200. Why the high shutter speed? Because the moon is moving. Too low a shutter speed, you will get blur. Your settings with your camera may be a bit different so try it out and see what works for you.

This is the cropped image enlarged from the center....<div>00PCCa-42969784.jpg.04ca56405fbbda8b661a6060cf1451d7.jpg</div>

If you're trying to expose both the moon and the surroundings properly, you might try some double exposure experiments - i.e. take one shot of the moon at F11 and the shutter at 1/iso speed and the other shot using a longer exposure - then merge them together in the computer. The moon is a very bright object. If you expose for the surroundings, you're going to seriously overexpose the moon.

Jackie: The advice that has been given regarding shooting the moon, sounds good to me, so I won't add anything to it. I,too enjoy night photography, and I thought that you might find some of my night shots interesting, and maybe they could give you some ideas.. Just thought I'd share... Andrew daspin