40d and image rotation.

glenroy

Hi all,

I have just started using my new 40d and I have an issue with viewing the

images in Windows Explorer. I download them using Zoom Browser and the portrait

images are left in portrait mode. However when I view the same images in Win

Expl the portrait images are turned back to landscape orientation.

Have I missed something here or have you guys experienced that same thing?

I have no such issues using the 10d and 20d in the same mannor.

Thanks

Glen

In the camera menu are 3 settings for auto rotate, off screen and camera +PC. when had it on the top setting it would not show in explorer (network pc`s, on screen only it did not turn on camera lcd but ok in the pc. not sure why . hope that makes better sense

The problem is more complex than you may imagine with some programs seeing the auto rotate flag and others not. Sometimes the thumbnail is rotated and others not. I use several programs to view and post process and have come to the conclusion that to avoid the hassle don't use auto rotation. Rotate your image as you download or when you start doing any processing work.

Like Jeff, I stopped using auto rotate because too many programs don't deal with it correctly. If I shoot jpgs, I upload to the computer, open the folder in XnView, select the should-be-verticals, and rotate them. If I shoot RAW I do the same in Lightroom.

<p>There are two ways a camera can rotate the image: by writing the image data according to the desired orientation, or by writing the image data as if the camera were right-side up (which is easier since the camera doesn't have to deal with four different ways to write the file) and adding an EXIF tag that specifies which way is up. AFAIK, EOS DSLRs do it via the EXIF tag.</p>

<p>So if you view the images with a program that reads and honours the EXIF tag, they will be oriented correctly; if you view the images with a program that does not use the EXIF tag, they will be oriented with the top of the camera up, regardless of the actual orientation of the camera.</p>