How to make a Thambar?

The pictures Raid posted along with the comments on his Summarit got me

wondering as to how easy it would be to construct a Thambar-like lens; and then

I found this:

http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/brotan_e.htm

Anyone have any comments on how easy / difficult this would be to do, or other

ideas to get that soft-focus effect. I've tried vaseline, stockings (on the

lens only!), and have also got early Elmars, Summars, Summitars etc. But

nothing gives me the effect that Raid got.

John, several years ago I constructed something like this. I used the focusing mount from a T-mount, 135mm f3.5 Vivitar preset lens with the optics removed. I placed a series 5, +10 close up lens in the mount. A +10 focal length is 100mm and I retained the aperture mechanics so that the lens can be stopped down to control the degree of blur. This rig will fit almost any SLR mount with the proper adapter however for use on a LTM or M mount RF you would have to calibrate and mark a scale focusing setup and of course, it wouldn't couple to the RF cam. The effect of the single element lens at f4 is very much like the sample photo at the site you referenced. Plus 10, close up diopter lenses in standard filter sizes of 49mm, 52mm, 55mm etc are sometimes offered on E-bay and then it would just be a matter of hacking up some kind of focusing mount. This type of lens would work best on a SLR where the effect could be seen on the focusing screen. If your camera has interchangeable screens and you can find one, install a plain matte screen because the microprism and splitwedge focusing aids on standard screens will be distracting and fairly useless with a lens like this.

For the longest time there was a Japanese site that sold 90mm Elmars that had the optics replaced for soft focus.

The best I ever found was my 120mm Imagon in Leica R mount. Just try to find one.

If you work in digital, any effect can be dupliicated at any aperture, so the whole thing is a waste of time. If you really like making wet prints, do it the old fashioned way, injet, copy,neg, real silver print.

+ lenses are indeed soft. The problem is the sharpness varies from center to edge.

John & Ronald,

Many thanks for your comments.

I'll probably have a go at John's idea, as I have an old Visoflex that hasn't seen the light of day for many years, and only use film.

As I'm pathologically lazy though, I'd still be interested in details of the site that sold the 90mm Elmars with soft focus optics, if Ronald or anyone can provide any further details they would be gratefully received.

Many thanks again.