B+W positives from Koadchrome

I understand Kodachrome 64 is essentially a B+W film with dyes added later in

processing. Is it possible to develop this film in B+W chemistry (D-76, Tmax,

Acufine, Microdol-X or DK-50?), bleach and a remjet removal method to B+W

positive images? If so, I'd be surious about the chemical capabilities of

Kodachrome.

Sure would be a waste of Kodachrome when you can do that with any black and white film, and with better (and cheaper) results due to the fact that you are dealing with only one layer. The film itself does not determine whether you get a positive or a negative; the process does.

If you want to do it anyway, there are a couple of reversal processes you can look up. One is published by Ilford, and necessitates the purchase of DEA-regulated chemicals, which you can get from Photographer's Formulary after you fill out the appropriate form and send them a copy of your state ID. Others simply use Potassium Ferricyanide and a plain water wash. If you want extreme details, let me know.

You can also end it to DR5 and have them give it a shot. This is probably the best option for only a roll or two.

Keith

if you are not in the usa, I can see that getting Kodachrome processed would be, at the least, awkward.

Inside the usa, however, you can mail it to Dwaynes in parson's kansas

and pay full price. or, as been posted here many times, put it in an envelope at a walmart and they will sent it to dwayes and charge much less.

Possibly target or others will do the same. Don't expect the clerk to know.

if you process it as a B&W as a negative, a proper encore would be to use panatonmic x as a wall decoration. sorry for the scarcasm, it's just that kind of day! Kodachrome is a rare and wonderful film. when it's gone we will miss it.

I've been hearing the line, "Kodachrome is a B&W film" for decades. If you look at a cross section, it is clearly a color film. It has 10 to 12 layers. The emulsions and their red, green, and blue sensitivities are similar to other color films. The main difference with other color films is that Kodachrome layers are thinner since they don't need couplers in the film.

In answer to your question, it is possible. Rocky Mountain Film lab provides B&W images from K-12 Kodachrome. There are several problems. You mentioned the rem jet. The yellow filter layer in Kodachrome has a mix of Carey Lea silver that is yellow and a Lippmann emulsion that turns the layer black in the K-14 first developer. This is needed to protect the green sensitive layers from the blue re-exposure light. This means your negatives will be very dark compared to conventional B&W negatives. These negatives will also be high in contrast with very short latitude.

Bottom line: you can make B&W images from Kodachrome, but wy would you want to?

I have some 1980's Kodachrome being given to me.

I'm not sure 20-25 year old film will be the wonderful thing it was when it was new, or worth the 9.00/roll to process.

(I will have to ask WalMart as someone suggested).

I found some intrigue in the b/w processing as it is easier to look a less-than ideal results in b/w. Or scan the color ones to b/w?

Any comments on storage qualities of UNexposed Kodachrome?

I like to shoot old film...hard to explain.

It's 126,too. Another guy is sending me a Kodak Instamatic 500. Must be the season for spring cleaning...