got a recommendation for a tripod with a vertical height ratchet?

spritestress

Can you recommend a high quality tripod for use in the studio that has a

vertical height adjustment ratchet?

When I use a tripod in studio, I currently use a giottos tripod, with a

Manfrotto 808RC4 X-Y-Z head, and a Custom Brackets brand landscape / portrait

pivot unit on top of that. What I need in addition is a very steady, high-end

tripod with a vertical height adjustment ratchet that is very smooth.

Any suggestions?

Make, model, and link to information would be very welcome.

Smooth is the issue with ratcheting tripods.

I have a Bogen 3036 that ratchets. Although it is in excellent condition, I hardly ever use it anymore. It has Ann Laird "Tri-Pads" on it. If you are interested, I would sell it for $125 + S&H (legs & pads only, no head),

A "rapid column" is sufficient for most purposes. You loosen a clamp, raise or lower the column and tighten the clamp. The most secure are the collar locks found on Gitzo tripod. The least secure are screw clamps that engage the column directly or through a pad. In between are split-ring collars like on a Tilt-All tripod.

For heavy loads, you might want a geared column. These are most often found on low-end "movie" tripods and heavy-duty tripods for 35mm video and view cameras. Gitzo series 3 (and higher) "Systematic" tripods have an interchangible center section which can be a flat plate (standard), rapid column, geared column or leveling head. The Gitzo geared column uses helical gears, which are very smooth and secure.

Have you considered getting a camera stand for studio use? They are highly mobile, require minimal floor space, can extend over wide work and are fully counter-balanced - raising and lowering with fingertip pressure.

The Manfrotto 3251 has a ratcheted center column which is raised and lowered with a hand crank. It's a good, solid, heavy, tall tripod, wonderful if you don't have to carry it anywhere. I'd happily sell you mine for half the Calumet price if you are in Southern California and I don't have to worry about shipping it.

<a href="http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/BG1277/specifications">Here are the specs.</a>

My Bogen 3051 with the 3047 head is fine, has the crank center column. It rarely leaves the house, it's a rock. I use for portraits and still lifes, and formal weddings when i did those. I prefer over some lighter pods for studio type use so that a kid or dog won't bump it over. I bought in 1989. Probably a different model # now, it has the levers at the head whereby you can release all three legs at once, only has one leg joint, ie legs are two pieces. Show up all the time on ebay. Tom