Dedicated Macro on something else?

jennifer ann

I am planning on purchasing the 100mm Canon Macro lens. I love close up work,

but I have been reading that I could purchase the Sigma 17-70, maybe add

extension tubes and/or a teleconverter and get the same results and have another

good all around lens.

Is this true? I do not wish to sacrifice quality. I have a Rebel XTi.

<P>A dedicated macro lens essentially is a prime lens with extension capability. Using a macro lens is more convenient without having to swap extension tubes depending on the magnification requirement. A macro lens can be used as a regular lens, it is not just for close up purpose. Furthermore, a macro lens designed is optimized for close up, so the image resolution and bokeh for close ups can be better than a regular prime lens with extension tube. I have a Contax Zeiss 120mm makro planar, a Nikon 105mm AF macro, and a Nikon 60mm AFD macro. I also have an 24mm extension tube to pair with my prime lens. They all render macro images differently. I like the Contax Zeiss the best (silky smooth bokeh), followed by the Nikon macros. See some of the samples at my <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspiration_point_studio/sets/72157604210122921/show/"rel="nofollow"><b>flickr photostream</b></i></strong></a></P>