Are these in focus?

Hi all,

A fairly basic question, are these two pics in focus? These screenshots are

taken at 100% on a JPEG from a Canon 5D.

My cable release is playing up and seems to be playing havoc with the autofocus...

Best,

P

There is no EXIF data with either image so unable to get any clues there, but as Michael suggests it looks as if the focus is set for a more distant object than anything in the scene. I suggest that either the AF is not working (switched off?) or that either the lens or the camera mirror have been damaged slightly and are now out of calibration.

You say you are using a cable release which would lead me to believe you are on a tripod. Any chance that you are auto focusing and then re-composing, then while still in auto-focus pressing the cable release causing the camera to re-focus?

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. It was on a tripod, the cable release doesn't seem to lock focus - it just cycles through the focal range. What I was doing was focussing on the camera, then engaging manual focus, then using the cable release to fire the shutter.

However, I think what has happened here is I've focussed on the camera, not engaged MF, and then pushed the cable release which has refocused (incorrectly) and fired the shutter.

Bummer.

P

Select an object that "seemed" in focus to you through the view finder, then see what (or if) anything is in focus. It would help if you said, I was aiming at the candle, which appeared in focus.

If the camera was searching, it likly means the light was low. I'll bet the aperture was wide open (and you had only a small window for a field). It is possible that a lens is a bit short or long on focus point, but more often than not it's the guy pushing the button.