Refurbished cameras?

Some are fine if you know what to look out for and get a good warranty. I always checked a variety of forums for typical issues with the camera and the outfit doing the refurbishing before purchasing. Even then I usually negotiated pricing beyond what the refurbisher advertised.

I'm not an expert but for what it is worth I've bought a few refurbed cameras as well as other refurbished equipment such as printers and computers. I can't say I've had any problems with any of it.

Most manufacturers test a relatively small sample of their new stuff before it goes out the door (unless your buying a car from GM or Ford, or software from microsoft in which case you get to be tester..) and then they statistically calculate whether the product's quality is varying within the limits of acceptance they've set up. So even there it is a crap shoot, but hopefully a controlled crap shoot, and the stuff that falls out is supposed to be caught by the warranty.

Refurbished and remanufactured products are returned goods that are either rebuilt to specs, or in the case of stuff that the original buyer just didn't like, the manufacturer inspects to make sure it works as it should. So the way I see it you get a more thoroughly inspected individual item with refurbs. The downside is the warranty is usually only 90 days. So it's kind of six of one half dozen etc.

Many of the refurbs are customer returns and packages show that they were opened. Most customers will not accept a re-pack as new so many stores can return them for a credit. There are some that were defective and rebuilt to new specs. I have had good experiences with my refurb purchases.

I have had very good fortune with refurbs from Kodak (DC5000, Z612), Canon (A530, A630)

Panasonic (LS2, LS75), Epson (Stylus Photo printers). They were all like new and warranted by

the manufacturers. You can save significant money purchasing refurbs, if you don't mind the

thought that the units have had histories before being yours.

Hello Lola,

I have bought three Canon refurbished lenses and a Canon refurbished body from Adorama. In each case the item looked brand new and after several months continues to perform perfectly. Each item came with a 90-day warranty and was packaged with all accessories in a Canon factory sealed carton. Availability of refurbished gear varies, so if you see something you want go for it. You won't regret it and you'll save a lot of money.

I've purchased several refurbished items and was always pleased with the quality and value... until a recent purchase of an inexpensive Olympus point & shoot (FE-210).

The camera came in a factory sealed Olympus box. It functioned OK, but it looked like it had been through a small war-- all kinds of scratches and cosmetic defects. Olympus says that there refurb'ed items may have MINOR surface imperfections, but this was truly ridiculous.

The seller was very good about giving me an exchange, and replaced the camera with another factory-sealed box from Olympus. The second camera was considerably better, but still had WAY more cosmetic issues than any refurbished item I've ever purchased.

Both of the cameras I received should appropriately have been resold as used items. I'm really amazed that Olympus is willing to tarnish its reputation by putting its name and factory seal on this stuff. I'd certainly be reluctant to buy anything (new or used) from them again.

For a Christmas Present to my son and His Wife ....Her Parents along with Us, went in together to get the Kids a refurbished Canon Rebel XTI Kit from Adorama. This first one they sent us looked new and was packaged like new...we were pleased but the pop up flash was sticking and not consistantly popping up. It was packed flash down in a foam and made an indention in the foam so maybe it was pressed down in the packing to hard...but It was not a problem to return it and get an other one which again looked new and is still working great the kids are thrilled with it. I would buy refurbished again. Adorama said it was refurbished by Canon too.