Flying with my Gitzo?

marko_kovacevic

Marko, yes that will be fine. The reason David knows that his tripod got security's attantion is because the suitcase had been opened and a friendly note was placed in the suitcase from the security guys. Happens to me all the time as well.

I believe most airlines stipulate tripods have to be in checked baggage, likely due to regulations, due to it's potential as a weapon.

Is there any reason you can't check the whole thing? Were you planning on a few time exposures or panoramas during the flight, LOL. If you're concerned about it getting lost, I think that might be the least of your hassles. Do carry on your camera(s) and lens, but check the tripod.

Also, I don't see the point of wrapping it in clothing. If anything, that will *raise* suspicions.

Just check with the airline, on the phone, and/or online.

Here's an interesting page from tranport Canada:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aboutus/travel/Pack/menu.htm

The "EXPLOSIVES AND IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICES" section borders on Monty Python'ish with it's thoroughness.

I generally remove the head, which goes in my carry-on baggage. I figure I can get a useable set of legs anywhere, but a good head takes time to replace.

There is little danger to the legs in a suitcase with rigid sides, which includes most well-constructed "soft sided" bags (like mine). I might wrap it in plastic to keep my clothes clean. There might be danger when using a completely soft-sided bag or duffle. If so, wrapping it in clothing won't help a bit.

I always put my tripod in the middle of my US Army duffle bag with clothing around it. I have a couple of newer gitzos but when I air travel again the older velbon will go as usual. I even checked a high powered carbine rifle in my duffel bag once, inside of a soft case. The Delta attendant gasped when I declared it, but I wasn't about to spend money on a fancy silver gun case that says "gun". When I land in Atlanta the duffel bags go to a separate area than the carousel with all the suitcases, and no one checks the bag vs. the claim ticket. In the old days, 1980's I flew on Alaska airlines a lot, and the stewardess would let me put tripod (the velbon with the sharp pointy legs) in a "closet" up front that some folks would hang suits on. Those days are long gone.

I fly back and forth between Bangor, ME, and Phila, PA, at least several times a year and out to WA State 2 years ago. Knock on wood, I have not had a problem with my Gitzo 1228 in my carry-on backpack. I have often wondered why no one at airline security has questioned this since with the Kirk ballhead it could be a club-like weapon.

Tripods are not explicitly prohibited, yet:

http://tinyurl.com/ptxdw

Probably worth checking the TSA website above just before flight time.

I would definitely put the spiked feet in the luggage, tho.

Test