They want my files.......at what cost?

crob2go

My problem is this at what price should I sell my files to fashion models or

someone that may be in the business of promotion. I don't sell my files but I

can understand why a model may need the files. In my case my price structure

is as follows $20 for files 1-4, $15 for files 5-8, $10 for files 9-12, and $5

for all files above 12 payed for. I have no idea or basis on what to charge so

if this sounds wacky let me know. Thanks C-Rob

I am not a pro, but from looking at your cost structure, I think you should change it. Here's why: If they buy 4 files, that would be $80, but if they buy 5 files, it will be $75, which is less than the cost of 4 files. You may want to have smaller steps... $18 for files 5-8 would make better sense since they still need to pay more to get 5 files.

With that said, when I got married, I tried to buy the negatives from our photographer (who used a RB67). This was about 6 years ago and they wanted around $350 for ~20 negatives... works out to about $18 per negative.

Of course, since you are digital, you aren't losing your images when you sell them, but you are losing sales because they won't be working with you once you sell those images to them.

If they want files, then work for an hourly rate as there will be no print sales.

You will also be blamed for the poor quality prints your files make when they are taken to Walmart. Explain that is having files is only half of what is required.

Does she want digitally retouched files or just what comes from the camera. If so figure this time into the job.

The sales agreement should allow you of the files for the purposes you specify such as a portfolio.

Thank you Charles, Ronald, Evan, and Tony your input is appreciated. I did forget to say there is an hourly fee outside of the cost of the files. Charles I was trying to say the first 4 files are $20 and the next 4 will be $15 and so on. Again Thanks C-Rob