Great Smoky Mountains timing of crowds

JohnMWright

Hi,

I've never been to the Great Smoky Mountains, and I'm hoping to go this May, but

I would prefer to avoid the majority of crowds. Is May a good time to beat the

crowds?

And, can anyone recommend some locations to visit there? I've seen plenty of

nice images but I don't have a mental map of the area yet.

thanks!

I'm sure you have already gathered information about the locations to shoot which are widely available all over interent.

I could share my favourite places -

1.Cades cove in the morning.specially sparks lane in foggy condition.

From one way Rich mountain road, you might see some foggy valley below.

2.Roaring fork for small streams and few cabins.

3.Clingmans dome sunrise.

4.Whole little river road and area near tremont ( middle prong of little river).

5.easiest hike to waterfall - grotto falls.

6.mountain farm near Cherokee.

There is always a scope to get good photograph all over the park, you'll know better when you come. :)

Crowds in the Smokies are largely restricted to the roads leading to and from the park, and then largely from October 15 to the end of the month. Once you park and walk on a trail, it will seem like the place is yours alone.

Trailhead parking can be a problem. The solution is to rise early and enter the park no later than 9am. Most tourists tend to wait until 11 to descend on the park, especially those with small children ;-)

May is a great time to go to the Smokies, especially the first half. Kids are still in school so

not that may tourist about and everything is green. Cades Cove is great but can get

crowded on weekends. The Tremont area is very nice, go to the end of the road, get out

and walk. The Institute at Tremont has a very good photo workshop April 18th thru 21st (

google G.S.M.I.

T.), Clingman's Dome is a must see, bring a coat it can be cool at 6600 feet. If its cloudy

in Gatlinburg it can be sunny and spectacular at the Dome. Oconaluftee Pioneer village is

neat plus it is not far to Cherokee, NC. Greenbrier is beautiful, The Roaring Fork Motor

Nature Trail is a good drive. plus all thru the Smokies you have waterfalls, streams, cabins.

I've been going every year for 39 years and I haven't come close to seeing it all. Have fun,

don't feed the bears and above all don't stop in the middle of the road. RandyB.

Lots of spot on info posted above me here. I would add that Bryson City is a great area. "The road to nowhere" is just a few miles from Bryson City. The tunnel that marks its end is just about 4 miles or so from town. Neat history if you read up on that. Fontana Dam is less than an hour SW from Bryson City. Nantahala Outdoors is about 20 minutes away. Whitewater rafting is there claim to fame. Pretty area. The train depot in Bryson City may make for a good shot or two. The train stays in Byrson City when not in use. They do a mystery dinner train ride at night that is great. The Cherohala Scenic Highway is about an hour SW of Bryson City. VERY scenic. They may call it the Skyway in fact. I may have mipelled Cherohala. Google "Images" will show you what is there.

I too recommend the Smoky Mountains Photographer's Guide by Bill Campbell and Nye

Simmons as a quick way to get an overview of the park. I don't find crowds a problem,

particularly if you are shooting at "photogenic hours" or are more than 3 minutes on foot

from the car. The real place to watch out for is Cades Cove since on the one-way loop road

you risk being stuck behind very slow traffic.

I forgot to comment on crowds, if you are going in May, you are in good shape. No worries. The place can get crowded when the kids are out of school in summer. It is the nations most visited National Park. In Fall, it gets crowded with everyone watching the leaves change. But in May, no problems. As Paul mentions, Cades Cove can be slow going. But May should not be too bad. As suggested above, Clingman's Dome would be worth a visit. Perhaps a good place to be for a sunrise/sunset. I can't remember which way you would be facing. Sunset would be the shot if I am not mistaken.

John,

May is good during week. Weekends are always bad no matter what time of year. In last year I have been there 12 times. It is always crowded. It seems that every car club and want to be bikers make a point to do a drive thru, all the time. In all my travels there I have found the two quitest areas to be Greenbriar and the dirt road that starts at Balsom Mountain and winds down along Straight Fork.

Just go there thinking you will come home with some great shots, forget about the people. The first couple times I went I came home hating people. I walked up on a female biker taking a piss on a "quite trail". Normally that would not bother me, but, well I wont go there. Later that same day I steped in human crap on another "quite trail". Still same day, I witnessed an asian woman puking at one of the overlooks at Luftee Gap. On another trip I was hung up in bumper to bumper trafic on the Little River Rd. due to a Black Bear. 3 HOURS!

Go there with a glass half FULL feeling and you will be alright. If you go through Gatlinburg plan on holdups due to traffic. Also, lots of folks say call the ranger. You can not call a ranger. You can get a recorded message or email three weeks in advance. People also claim that not as much going on away from road. Here again not true, the parking areas around any kind of site like waterfalls, the chimneys, the sinks, cades cove, etc. are always full. Overflowing full.

I know it sounds bad, and it is that bad, on weekends. On weekdays it is fine sometimes only a quarter of that crowd. The first time I went to the Smokies was 82 as a child. We camped there and hardley saw a soul the whole week. My how things change, or maybe our population is starting to bust from its seams.

All that said, I keep going back. It is worth it, if steping in human crap is the price I pay, it is worth it!

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

May should be okay, as noted above. Weekends are bad mostly year-round, but Monday-Thursday should be more than acceptable in May. Keep an eye on the bike closings on Wednesdays and Saturday's in the Cades Cove area, and schedule accordingly.

Hi John.

If at all possible, go as early in May as you can. I have checked with some local photographers and they say there has been plenty of rain so there should be some good river, stream and wild flower photography. After April 15, should be good. If you can't go until after school is out, try going to Cades Cove and Roaring Fork during the week. Be at the gate to Cades Cove before sun up so that you can get a jump on at the crowds. Stay in Townsend, TN. It's the quickest and best place to work from. When you get there, buy a book clled "The Smoky Mountains Photographer's Guide." It will save you hours of time and tell you some of the best places to photograph.

Good Luck

John C. Howard