Why ratings matter.

Feeling desperate for validation from strangers? This may help put things in

perspective.<p>

<i>"CHICAGO - Music, a mode of creative expression consisting of sound and

silence expressed through time, was given a 6.8 out of 10 rating in an review

published Monday on Pitchfork Media, a well-known music-criticism website..."</i><p>

<a href="http://www.theonion.com/content/news/pitchfork_gives_music_6_8"

>Pitchfork Gives Music 6.8</a><p>

You just "what" it Ellis? Seems to be something missing from your sentence there.

But of course nobody giving someone crap for their spelling would ever mistype anything. So I can only conclude that I am too dense to grasp the meaning of your sentence.

<i>"I much prefer the incidents where someone puts a Weston or Cartier-Bressan up for ratings, and someone falls for it and rates it low."</i> -- Joseph Wisniewski

<p>

What? So now we must rate images according to the way others have (or are) rating them; and if we don't, we are clueless hacks who 'fell for it' I suppose. Why rate at all if we can only rate the way we are 'supposed to'? Or were you making a joke perhaps..?

No worries, I know my last comment came over too strong. Even so, I was thinking back to the numerous times the old masters' images are reposted for critique without mention of who created it, each time the person is fishing for people to "fall for it" once again. It is just this process which p*sses me off - struck a nerve, I guess - sorry!

I agree with you Neil.

If someone posts a Cartier-Bresson and asks for critiques, and thinks that the poor

ratings it will receive somehow undermine the validity of such ratings, they are mistaken.

It is perfectly reasonable for people to rate a Cartier-Bresson image poorly if they feel that

way. It is not wrong to think it isn't good. There is not, and should not be, any 'objective

arbiter' of my own personal tastes! That the art community has decided to value any work

highly does not mean you should have to.

Moreover, the same sort of images taken anew today would probably receive very different

receptions in the current art world. The value given to art is, in large measure, about its

role in the ongoing 'dialogue' of art history. The current 'conversations' are different than

they were when Cartier-Bresson was being productive.I agree with you Neil.

I tend to view those games not so much as a ploy by elitists trying to show the unwashed how ignorant they are as a sort of informal laboratory for social experimentation.

Naturally, some elitists won't be able to resist ridiculing those who don't recognize the "genius" behind supposedly familiar classics. But in doing so they also reveal themselves in ways the may not even recognize. So one can imagine yet another level of elitism, smirking at the hubris of pseudo-intellectuals. And on and on and on...

The underlying path of this thread it seems is that we should be able to rate a submission how we feel about it or react to it. That I agree to. There are those of us out in Photo.net world that are true amateurs and post our photos here because we enjoy photography and would love to get better. A lot of us may not follow the "masters" to know who Weston or Cartier-Bresson is but every photo may evoke some sort of reaction that we can expound on with a critique or rating here at Photo net. As previously stated, just because it's a "master" does not mean it HAS to be rated high. Art is like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. I enjoy the ratings as quick "praises" of how my photo pleases the viewer. Of course everyone would love a critique, but not everyone has the time to fully explain themselves, so a rating may suffice. I also think that Josh and the admins of Photo net do a pretty good job of eliminating the fly by night ratings of those who abuse the site.

• 1 month later...

I haven't scrutinized every one of Lex's photos, but I do see that they are

superb, even if not congruent to my developing style and modest technique. Not to recognize his excellence as a photographer would be akin to not recognizing Cartier-Bresson or Beethoven as aesthetically superior, even if your thing is hip hop, funk, or heavy metal. You might not like Beethoven, but as a musician you would be have to be deaf not recognize the genius of his art. Maybe as a pseudo-intellectual I am demonstrating the hubris Lex complains about. I wish I had his skills, even if his finished product might not make my toes tingle. I don't necessarily like Schoenberg, but the skill and power of his music is, in my opinion, undeniable. I prefer Alban Berg and good bourbon by a long shot.