Sigma 80-400 OS lens

leonard_forte1

Here is Photozone's review of the lens:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/45-canon-eos-aps-c/327-sigma-af-80-400mm-f45-56-ex-apo-os-test-report--review

I haven't seen much discussion of this lens on the Internet. I was curious as to the price and B&H doesn't currently list this lens for Nikon.

By the way, the lens does not appear to have an HSM motor - it's standard AF.

I am a fan of Sigma lenses, particularly their macro range, however I think you would be better getting the Nikon in this case.

Firstly, as Eric says it is not HSM - and yet Sigma (UK) do state that it will AF on the D40/D60?! ie "The following Nikon fit lenses all include a built-in focusing motor and are fully compatible with the Nikon D40, D40x and D60." - the 80-400 is included in that list!

The Sigma zooms seem to all suffer with 'zoom creep', I used to have the 135-400, if I put it over my shoulder on a tripod it would extend with such a clunk that more than once I thought the lens had actually fallen off! I notice they have incorporated a 'zoom lock' on this one to overcome that - but I can imagine lost shots when you have forgotten to unlock it. The Nikon 80-400's zoom stays exactly where you put it.

The saving over the Nikon 80-400 is actually quite small - in the UK the saving is only 15% at 'street' prices. I've had the Nikon version for about a year now and certainly have not regretted trading in the Sigma 135-400 for it.

In the US I think the savings is even less, unless it's dropped in price recently.

The 120-400 has OS and HSM and is really, really on the target for me. It is heavy though - about 4lbs. The 80-400 is lighter but is slow to focus, as is the Nikon. If Nikon comes out with an AF-S version of the 80-400 I would snap it up.

Until then, though, I'm waitinf rot he 120-400. it's already available for pre-order via amazon at about $850 or so. Great price.

the new 120-400mm Sigma seems great...i have been thinking about getting the 70-300 VR...would you guys suggest getting this instead? i understand its about twice the price. presently i dont have anything above 200mm and figured this new sigma would be better than the 70-300mm. i am starting out and just shoot about anything...just building up the lens arsenal. this range at $850. seems hard to beat unless the image quality is gonna be vastly inferior to the nikon 70-300 VR i would think this would be a better grab.

The 70-300 is lighter, but 100mm shorter at the same aperture.

No comment on the IQ until it is out, but spec wise I'd prefer the 120-400. Then again, I don't mind lugging around a lot of gear even for everyday shooting, so the weight of the 70-300 might be more to your liking.

I have the Sigma 80-400 OS and have used it with both my D80 & D300. It will reach out there but really not ideal for moving subjects- wildlife (birds). I bought it for a trip to Blackwater NWR in Maryland last year in an effort to save money over the Nikon. It really did not perform as hoped and was not sharp enough for my taste, I tried it again a few months ago when I bought the D300- really not much of an improvement. My best guess is that it would fine for zoo shots where animals are somewhat further away but stationary. I now have a Nikon 300 f/4 and it has performed better in picture quality for me and with the teleconverter still does well. Butterflies and raptures very nice job on my D300. The Sigma 80-400 did take some good images of a Hot Air Balloon Festival last fall on my D80 but then again the balloons did not move that fast. I hear the Nikon 80-400 VR is due for re-design later this year? Chris

Yes, the Sigma 80-400 does have an internal motor, just not HSM and *will* focus with the D40 which is what I have.

I've had problems with sharpness, but I think its more of my using the lens at 400mm with a monopod and less than stellar light instead of doing the right thing and using a tripod. I just borrowed a high-end manfrotto tripod from a friend of mine and will be going out this weekend to test the lens out a bit more. I've had the lens now since last december. Sharpness has been hit and miss, but again, whether its my technique or the lens is another issue (likely culprit is my technique)

The focusing is loud however, and when there is another loud "buzz" when the VR first kicks in. So far the birds that I've been following have no been overly stressed by the noises, the big man behind the lens makes more noise just moving around.

I'm on a budget, and this was the longest lens I could afford.

It's a good little lens - I used one all the time on a D70 and then a D200 in my Nikon days.<br><br>

It does indeed have an internal focus motor.<br><br>

I wrote a (pretty positive) review of it a while ago - it might still be of some use - <a href="http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/reviews/sigma-80-400mm-os" target="_blank"><b>here</b></a>.

I tested out the lens with a serious intent to buy, but changed my mind after analyzing the results. Focus was fine as was stabilization. Sharpness and contrast were not up to what I wanted and that was the blocking issue for me. Perhaps it was that particular sample, as I was also unimpressed with the IQ of the in the field shots taken by the owner... same issues = sharpness and contrast. -g-

• 2 months later...

I like to make a correction. Somewhere in this threat it is mentioned tha this lens doesn't work provide AF for D40(X) and D60. I can tell you this is not true as I do have a D40 and use the Sigma 80-400. Although no "HSM" this lens do have a focus motor in the lens and as such is fully D40(x) / D60 compatible. Don't think that only Sigma HSM are fully compatible with D40(x) / D60, there are more. There is a Sigma vs D40 compatibility overview on the Internet. Please check that one.

Hans

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I am new on this forum and hopefully you can help me!

Like Hans Smits writes, I know that Nikon D60 and Sigma 80-400 are compatible as far as AF is concerned (even to the extent that with AF active on the lense and with the camera on Manual, the whole still AF's, surprising to me but I am new to SLRs).

What I am not sure about is whether the D60 (which has VR) can drive the Optical Stabilisation of this lense, or whether I should switch OS off on the lense. The lense's manual by ommission suggests that the D60 and the lense are not compatible in this respect. Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks, Pim Bussink