Why not Canon give 5D an integrated vertical hand grip?

wooi_loon

Hi,

As in the title, do you have any idea why Canon did not include a built in

vertical hand grip (or battery grip) like the 1D/1Ds series? Was it because to

differentiate between a pro DSLR with a prosumer DSLR or because to cut down

slightly the cost (but only $300) and the weight so that it appeared as a

prosumer body? I think most 5D users have its external battery grip attached

to improve the handling.

Not sure anyone discussed this before. Any input are welcomed. Thanks.

WL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess there are a few pros around who rarely shoot in portrait format, for whom the VG

would be a waste of money. So by leaving it optional Canon saves them money.

Plus, until Nikon do it, it would make Canon look uncompetitive to offer an integrated VG.

I shoot a lot of landscapes and find that most of them are horizontal. I also use my camera mainly for travel photography and would hope that Canon continues to offer the 5D line without an integrated vertical grip.

I plan on getting a 5D2 (or whatever) when it is released and really hope that the vertical grip is left as optional -- it is one of the reasons why I'm not getting a Nikon D3.

<i>I think most 5D users have its external battery grip attached to improve the handling. </i><P>

On what do you base that assumption?<P>

I have no problem shooting verticals with a 5D that doesn't have a vertical grip. I would <b>hate</b> the extra size and weight of integral vertical grip. I wish they would slim down the 5D a bit.

OOooah ouch `reserved fot pros` thats it not worth gettin, been a while but my T90`s havn`t got int grips, can`t remember one on me 1V ;) I think if the 5d was brought out with an integrated grip the bulk would have turned many buyers off, especially after having 1/2 frame.

It is great being able to have the camera either with or without the grip. I like it both ways, and I think most people who have 5Ds never buy the grip. If you want a full frame camera with built-in vertical controls for the same price as the 5D, look for a used 1Ds. Seems like a silly reason to buy a camera, though.

If you look more closely, you will see that we have only really had cameras with built-in vertical grips for the past eight years or so. The T90 is definitely an exception, but it's motor drive is very slim, so you hardly notice it.

Keith

I find myself to use with grip is much handy than without, probably i have big hands and found is much easier to shoot in vertical to change shutter. Knew few friends who coincident have 5D mainly for wedding shoot, they all bought together with the grip. No intention to say it is a must feature in 5D, but thought it would be nice as built in. Sometime found the screw being loose, lost the power contact and need to be tightened during hiking. Just my personal view.

Thanks for you respond.

Never had a problem with any grip in the verticle orientation nor the small amount of additional weight.

Nobody should complain about weight until they've used a F1n with attached motor drive for a day or two, but that's only my opinion.

But the grip is only 300g. Does shed off this 300g really significant to your burden compared to a flash or a heavy lens? I would think weight is not the issue (to me 300g is nothing), even a bottle of mineral water is heavy than that, but maybe some people will think the bulky size that put them off. Personal view.

"Built-in vertical grips are reserved for professional-level cameras. The 5D is not a

professional-level camera."

I, and many others, take issue with your statement. I'm a professional and I consider it a

professional-level and quality camera. If the images are what constitute professional

quality (and ultimately what else would?), then the 5D certainly fits this bill.

I've used my 5D for hundreds of professional assignments and it has provided superb

images with nary a problem, mechanical or otherwise. The fact that I exclusively use "L"

glass doesn't hurt, of course.

Different people have different needs. I don't find the 5D particularly tempting (too slow), but I would get the latest 1D instantly if it was available without the vertical grip. I had the grip with EOS3 and ended up using it very little. It's not the weight as such but the grip makes it much harder to carry the camera with a moderately heavy lens (like the 100-400L) attached in the front in a waist bag the way I like to do when hiking in the wilderness: the grip pushes the center of gravity too far from my body.