Best Digital Camera for Iraq and Sand

Hello! Our son is headed to Iraq in a couple of weeks. He needs a digital

camera that is easy to use, has AA battery option, will (occasionally) record

video with audio as well as pics, can withstand the elements of heat and sand

at least to some degree, and has a chance of making it through 15 months.

Price is an issue as that chance is very small! Is $200 ridiculous to

consider?

A film camera is not an option. He CAN download and recharge every night.

From my experience, Olympus offers the sturdiness, but Canon offers the

quality. Would very much appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

From my perspective - never having been to Iraq or Afganistan - based on my experience from Vietnam, I would pick up the least expensive option. Not only will the harsh desert ruin a good camera, but barracks theives can be a problem depending on the unit.

A bit of advice for your son from an old grunt - Keep your eyes open, keep your buddy's back covered, make sure yours is covered, stay as low as possible to the ground AND COME HOME SAFE!

Dave Held

Hi Julie.

The Olympus 770SW might be a good fit here. Except that it uses the factory supplied Olympus battery & charger, not AA. This should not be a problem if he has access to std 120V outlet where he can plug in the charger with the battery. The 770SW is shockproof, waterproof down to 32FT, and constructed of full wrap-around steel metal case. I have one, and think its very ruggedly designed. Its certainly marketed as an outdoor 'sports' digital camera. With a fresh charge on the battery, and using a 2GB XD Picture Card, you can put it in Movie Mode, and take full color, full length, continuous video, with good ambient sound, up to 1 HR & 27 MIN. The video is 15 FPS, which is good (though not good as 30FPS), and the resolution is 640x480. I used mine last summer to make full length video recordings of old fashioned preachers, who sometimes preached up to 70 or 75 minutes at a stretch. The video file is saved in Windows *.AVI mode. You can then upload the AVI file to the laptop and make a fully developed movie out of it, if you have the movie-making software.

The 770SW has all the usual modes of exposure, including about 2 dozen special modes to match special conditions. Probably, the modes that handle brightly lit scenes, like the Beach Mode are the ones best fitted for Iraq.

About the heat issue, all I can say is that just about all camera mfgr's say to keep the camera out of hot sun & hot vehicles. If he can keep the camera in the cool shade when not is use, that would be most desireable. When he goes on patrol, he can put it inside the day pack (if he carries one).

About the sand, probably the simplest protection is to keep the camera inside a ziplock bag when not in use. All zipped up tight and sealed.

If you decide to get a different camera, one that uses AA batteries, you want to also get rechargeable Nickle-Metal-Hydride "AA" size batteries, and an appropriate NMH AA sz recharger. I have learned the hard way that digital cameras will go through regular alkaline AA batteries like water, meaning your son will be having to buy lots of batteries. That can get expensive.

You can upload pictures from the 770SW to the laptop using the supplied USB cable. That will tie up the camera and the battery for a little while, while the upload takes place. OR, you can use an optional picture card Reader, available from just about any electronics or camera store. (Make sure its the correct size & type for the XD Picture Card). Then just transfer the picture card from the camera to the reader, and upload the picture files that way.

Julie,

I carried a Canon S500 everywhere I went in Iraq. It is a little scratched up but still

functional. Lowepro makes a very small camera pouch that has a velcro strap that

attaches perfectly to the loops on the body armor. Just get a black one and use a Sharpie

marker to subdue the logo.

Best of luck to your son!

Rob

Ditto certain Olympus models.

My C-3040Z had one obvious vulnerability - the telescoping zoom. This was fixed with the CLA-sumpin'erother aluminum tube, which shrouds and protects the lens. To that I fitted a step-up ring and a 49mm protective filter that has never been removed. That camera has been through some conditions never intended for the design and survived better than some pro SLRs.

Most major manufacturers offer at least one weather-resistant, rough handling model, so it's a matter of finding one that offers the overall features and handling you or your son want.

Julie,

Another option could be to go with one or two super cheap cameras and not worry about

what happens to them. My current "throwdown" camera is a Nikon L11, it takes pretty good

pictures and video and can be had for less than a hundred bucks.

Rob

Thank you ALL for your input; you've helped narrow down our choices and made the decision much easier!

David, I (and my Vietnam vet husband) thank you for your service; your advice will be passed on to our son this weekend.

Alan, thank you for your extensive information.

Matthew, thank you for your service.

Kerry, thank your son for us for his service. Godspeed to him.

And Rob, thank you for your service and the details of the pouch (which we wouldn't have thought of) and your "throwdowm" camera.

You guys are great!