Sharp Manual Zoom Lens

pgavalis

....for under $100? Anybody have input for a relatively cheap (inexpensive) but

sharp zoom lens for the K10D? Manual is fine by me and I assume you know that

for the price point I am looking at. I already have a 70-200/4 and a 28-100/4

(macros). Thanks, Pete. This is mostly for wildlife in shade or sunlight.

Well, if you have 70-200mm and 28-100mm lens, then that's how I see your choices with $100 budget:

1. Wide angle lens to cover range <28mm. Unfortunately lenses like that will cost more than $100 except Tokina 19-35mm or "kit" lens 18-55mm. Not sure though if that's something you need for wildlife.

2. Cheap 100-300mm lens. Unfortunately this only gives you 200-300mm range and the IQ is not going to be anything to brag about if your budget is only $100.

3. Teleconverter for the lenses you have if you are looking to extend the range on the tele end. It will cost you about $20-45 for manual teleconverter and slightly above $100 for one with A setting.

$100?<p>

Well... for $130, you can get the autofocus <a href="http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TM70300DIPA">Tamron 70-300 LD Di f/4-5.6</a>. I've been quite pleased with mine for wildlife use. It's got a bit of purple fringing which doesn't bother me, and is quite sharp, and surprisingly well-built with a quality hood and body. It's not so fast too autofocus at f=300mm, but it does have a nice macro mode.<p>

I don't know what 70-200/4 you have... but my Tamron 70-300 is sharper than my Cosmicar/Takumar KA 70-200/4 manual lens. And only very slightly slower at 200mm, f/4.5 vs. f/4.

I second the response on the Vivitar Series 1 70-210, except that an example of the best version (2.8-4.0 w/ macro and the A setting) in apparently very nice condition, sold last week for $135 on eBay. The two earlier versions, both very sharp lenses but 3.5 fixed aperture and full-manual usually sell at your price.<p>The Pentax-mount of this lens is apparently in high demand, even for a 23 year old lens.<p>Here is a link to some information on the versions:<p><a HREF="http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm"> Vivitar Series 1 70-210 Macro Zooms </a>

I have Sigma 80-200 macro zoom. Got it as part of lot, so I can estimate the price as $40 (+shipping). Couldn't find any information about this lens at time of purchase. But I found it quite sharp for such price. If you are interested - I'm ready to get rid of it. Test pictures are available.

If you already have 70-200 f/4, it seems overlapping if you try to get the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 and I find it way too heavy to use for walk around purpose. I used to have a copy of version 1 from Kiron and you can take a look at test shots that I have, it has the best image quality for that focal range in my gear but it is way heavy and I have to sell it

http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/03/vivitar-70-210-series-1-f35-from-kiron.html

And based on what you have and the $100 budget, I recommend a reasonably inexpensive zoom on Tokina 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 and I find it very sharp wide open and I bought it used for < $100 and I have it working quite well on my K100D and I believe it will work out even better for my film body with Pentax pz-1

http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/03/tokina-19-35-f35-45-test-shots.html

If you want manual zoom on the cheap, I have these zooms that I got for cheap prices

1. Tokina sz-x 287 28-70 f/2.8-4.3 with A aperture and manual focus <$50

2. Vivitar 70-150 f/3.8 from Kiron with serial number starting 22. I paid roughly $60 on this

I have tested the Tokina sz-x 287 very positively but I am yet to test the Vivitar 70-150 f/3.8 from Kiron. I have a photoset where I use both Tokina AF 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 and Tokina sz-x 287

Tokina 19-35 28-70 Test Shots