Exhibiting - Body of Work?

I'm working on putting together some photographs for an exhibition that is

coming up later this year. It's an exhibition for lesser known photographers

that runs alongside an exhibition for well known photogs, and takes place at a

wide range of venues across the town. Each exhibitor makes their own choice of

where they want to exhibit, negotiates with owner of the venue, maybe clubs

together with a couple of other photogs, and has their exhibition details put

in the brochure/programme that details all the exhibitions.

What I'm wondering is this......I need to put together a body of work, and am

thinking along the lines of 10 photographs, probably sized in the region of 16

to 20 inches, to be displayed in a clear area in cafe/restaurant. And I'm

thinking that my body of work will be connected in that they will all be

photographs taken in low light, and presented in a way that they all work

together (i.e. they may be different subjects, but the way they look in terms

of technique and aesthetics connects them).

My questions are..... is 10 photographs of this sort of size (16 to 20 inches)

too many, too few, or ok, for an exhibition? Is this size big enough for this

number of photographs, or too big? Is it ok to have a body of work that is

connected through a low light technique/aesthetic appearance, as opposed to

being connected directly through subject?

Many thanks in advance.....

Pete

Hi Pete. A technique can certainly be a joining factor in a body of work. Also, regarding the

number of pieces you will use, you should find out from the owner/manager how much

space will be available first, as I think that should be a determining factor. In other words,

find out what is needed and wanted as a preliminary action. - Maria

Pete I cannot speak from experience or in general terms but not surprisingly I have an opinion anyway.

Using technique as the unifying factor in an exhibition sounds sensible to me. I guess the biggest issue would be with how unified the images actual appear on account of the technique? In your case I think you have a good number of shots that would fit you criteria and work well together.

This is off the top of my head so feel free to tell me it is a silly idea. If you find the management in agreement, perhaps the fact that you are highlighting low light images could be capitalized upon by having your images dimly lit and scattered about the venue rather than the standard approach. I could see this working in a pub or restaurant. Best of luck, this sounds like a nice opportunity for lesser know local photographers to get some exposure.

Pete, oddly enough I have an opinion too. Technique can be a unifying theme as long as there is an emotional constancy associated to the images. Dare I are say it? Size does matter and bigger is not necessarily better. So, keep the size of the ten images relatively similar but find a size that is fitting to all ten images. Consider the viewer when determining this. If you print smaller will the viewer be able to get close enough to see the image? As Maria says, the venue may determine a fair amount of this. Sounds like a great opportunity for an exhibit.

Pete--

Before making your final prints, I'd take into consideration the conditions of the venue at

which you will exhibit. Cafes may tend to be low light situations to begin with, so in order

to get the kind of effect you want, you may actually want to pump things up a bit in your

prints. Also consider whether the space will lend itself to a warmer or cooler printing job,

as well as to the size you choose. I agree that a style or technique may be an appropriate

unifying factor, although no one ever said that an art show has to be unified. There can be

a lot of effective randomness in art as well.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I'd say that having photographs connected by a "look" is every bit as valid as any other linking theme such as subject, location, emotion or whatever. Frankly I took a look at the Deutsche Borse candidates at the Photographers Gallery recently and in most cases found it hard work to decipher any linkage at all!

I don't think that there is any necessary link between size and quantity. What I would say is that its important to have the prints correctly spaced. Too close means the viewer can't quite concentrate on one, too far apart means that any linkage is reduced. So if you know how much space you can get, and work out the spacing, then the number of prints emerges.

Everybody, thanks so much for your input. Plenty to think about.

I'm fairly fortunate that the place I intend to exhibit is owned and run by the parents of one of my son's friends, and we get on well with them - and I also eat in there sometimes during the day when working! It's a large cafe, with large windows that let good daylight in, while still having plenty of shady areas toward the rear of the venue. The cafe is also open at night so I will need to see how photographs look both during the day with the natural light, and at night with the artificial light. Plenty of opportunity to see what works best. The other nice thing is that the owners are interested in the arts and host quite a number of exhibitions of paintings and sculpture throughout the year.

I will, of course, post how things are working out, and will no doubt be asking for advice and seeking encouragement as time goes on :)

Gord, funny you should mention the word "highlighting" as last night, I woke from my sleep and wrote down a title for the exhibition I want to put together - it was "Low Light Highlight". Another thought would be "Highlighting Low Light".

I'm working on photographs at the moment, and have in mind things like people cowering in cupboards, or in suitcases and so on. Perhaps I ought to provide a bit of balance in form of something cheerful!