Rate Anonymously functionalities suggestions

loic brohard

I have two suggestions to make regarding Rate Anonymously functionality. Sorry

if this has already been suggested in the past, and I am not sure if the

request is reasonable from a technical and programmers' side... but I think

this would be a great improvement for PN, and to remediate the lastly noted

trend of lack of average numbers of rating per photo and revitalise PN a bit....

FIRST : Rate Anonymously seems to follow a chronological and most recent

critique request logic. This is one approach. But due to relatively massive

number of critique requests, i.e ~ 7000 a week so ~ 40 per hour, it means that

even if you connect daily, and rate 50/100 photos which is already alot, you

only got the opportunity to rate anonymously the photos which have been posted

in the last 2 hours, but nor all the other ones. Do you know if there would be

a technical option to rate anonymously at any time during the lifecycle of a

photo. Example, I find a photo for the first time, which has been posted one

week, one month or one year ago, and I am given the 2 options to rate

anonymously or not.

SECOND : I think it would be SO NICE to have the option to select one (or even

better multiple selections) categorie(s) on which to do anonymous rating. We

all have or indivudal preference, and that what makes the categorization

great. But in the above exampe of 40 photos per hours, if you have mostly

interest for example for Architecture, Landscape, Travel, Street, you will have

to spend your time rating (or skipping) photos of other categories you are not

a huge fan of photo, so for example cats, dogs, flowers and nudes.

Best regards, Loic

Loic, Fred was pointing you in the right direction. Go to the category you want through the critique forum. Then, in the top corner of that category page there is a 'Rate Category' button. That will give you the rate-recent interface with only the photos from the category you wanted.

First, the Rate Recent interface should not be presenting photographs as members submit them for critique. Why? Because it is too easy to game the system, that's why. As soon as a photograph is submitted for critique, it is presented in the Rate Recent queue. All one has to do is call or email one's friends prior to submission and <i>Whamo</i>...instant high rates. This is a <b>Big Fault</b> with the way the Rate Recent system is setup. It would be far better to hold each submission in a cache and release them randomly with random start times into the queue. They could be released with delays that randomly varied from, say, one to three hours.<br><br>

Second, having the ability to go back, without limitation, to any photograph and rate it anonymously is ripe for abuse. It would be to a lowballer's advantage to be able to anonymously visit any photograph that has been submitted and rate it. This suggestion places control over the rating system into the hands of those doing the rating. In other words, the <i>Rator</i> would be controlling the rating system instead of the Rate Recent interface. With my exception to the interface mentioned above, the submitted photographs are still being rated in a more or less random manner by the World Community. The goal should be to increase the randomness of presentation, not decrease it.<br><br>

Finally, I think that it is very curious, perhaps even inappropriate, for anyone who has given out <b>more 3-rates than 4-rates</b> to be suggesting changes to the rating system. Regards.

Hi Walter. My second suggestion : solved, as it was already a functionality of PN ;-). My first suggestion : it was a real and true candid one, with no bad intention, exempt from any evil/abuse thoughts; apparently because of your experience and your longer time as PN member, you have been giving a much deaper thought than I had before my candid suggestion... Actually, thinking again about, it I am 200% with you on both points (sorry for your three cents..). Regarding the final conclusion about my suggestions being curious or inappropriate, I don't see your point, but never mind, I am not too interested in trying to understand ! Though I don't have to justify myself about my rating, what you see are the stats of my rating since I started to do so in June 2007, but I have been through a slow learning curve to understand the webstite, understand the rating system, reading forums, viewing many photos, posting myself some photos for critique, and if you would have a breakdown of my stats say the first 3 months and the last 6 months, you would probably see a much different pattern. Thank you anyway for the time you spent providing a good insight and thoughts.

<b>Loic</b>, sorry if I came down hard on this subject; I guess after so many years on this site and seeing so many cases of abuse transpire that I am just gun shy. In my haste to post my opinion I forgot how it was when I first joined the site and how my ratings were. They certainly did not describe your typical Bell curve! No hard feelings, I hope ;0) Regards.