Pricing for commercial photography in NY

Hi everyone,

I am currently a NY portrait and fine-art photographer as well as a web designer. I had eventually

hoped to get into commercial photography, but not this soon.

Of course, four weeks before I am scheduled to go to the ASMP strictly business 2 conference, I got my

first request from a company to do a commercial shoot for them, based upon a recommendation from

a client that I had done a website for. The problem is, I have no idea what to charge.

I'm gathering that the company does not have significant experience with photographers, and the

shoot itself seems well within my experience (I have assisted a decent amount in the past.) I will post

the requirements I was told, but before I do, they asked for a total buyout of the images. I believe that

for this I am supposed to charge 2 or 3 times the amount for the entire shoot, but I could be totally off.

Any help with even figuring out a ballpark number would help me so much. I don't want to underbid

or quote an outrageous amount. This job seems like the perfect first commercial photography job for

me, as well as I would like to be able to get further recommendations from the client that I had

recommended me.

From the e-mail:

"I am looking for a photographer for a shoot in NY. I need an estimate by Tuesday of next week so I

can get things set up. The details are below. If you have more questions let me know.

All day shoot

I will arrange for a suite at a hotel

Three shot set ups

One individual shot

Two couple shots

On white background so I can drop out subjects

You provide lighting and backdrop

Digital format

Total buyout of images provided to me on disc

If you have a stylist/makeup person please include in estimate but as a separate line item"

Thanks in advance,

James

Why don't you ask some of the people you have assisted for in the past? If you have good relationships with them they should be willing to help.

My best guess is that since they want to purchase all rights you should be asking somewhere in the $5K t0 10K range for creative fee plus all expenses (assistant, stylist, transportation, digital processing fee (unless you are just handing over the media cards as you shoot them -- in which case charge for those as well), rental equipment, and catering. )

You should also make sure that you get 50% of the total estimate up front far enough in advance of the shoot that you can make sure the check is good at THEIR bank not yours.

And look out for signs of a scam where they send you a check for too much and ask you to return the excess.

Hmmm......... That type of email stinks to high heaven. Quote $10k, and take the $14k cheque to the FBI.

Even if the cheque is for $10k or less, odds are they will pull out in a week and ask for a refund. Several businesses, restaurants and hotels, here have been scammed for $2-5k by returning deposits this way.