Tiltall disassembly

james_korolas

It's a tight press fit. You need to tap it off with a rawhide mallet.<p>Sometimes, there's a

little epoxy, usually from a previous repair, so some gentle heat from a heat gun or hair dryer

can help.<p>You'll need a press of some kind to reassemble it, or file a bevel around the end

of the tube and tap it in from the base with the threaded ring in place. Don't try to line up

the old hole. After the parts are together, drill a new hole through the tube so the screw can

have a good bite.<p>Michael, that goes for you, too.

Noah, thanks for your quick response.

I love this tripod, just hate the big head. I want to replace it entirely with a pistol grip ball head I have, and right now it looks ridiculous with those two unnecessary knobs.

If I may, can you view the picture to make sure I'm following your advice correctly: I remove that screw where the red arrow is pointing and then use a rubber mallet to knock-off the old head?

Thanks again for your time!<div>00OnFI-42281584.jpg.f20f4162759a802c1521f5c7a8f839b6.jpg</div>

How do you plan to hold the new head in place? There's no platform nor 3/8-16 stud - just the tubular end of the column. If you can find another column that fits, go that route. Measure everything first and remember, thousandths of an inch matter.

The Tiltall is what it is - functional, utilitarian and inexpensive. It was my first "real" tripod, and I still have it. I wouldn't try to make it into something it isn't. See if you can find a good, used Gitzo series 2 (or larger) on the web at a price you can afford. I bought a Gitzo G-1227 CF for $200, and it's way better than the Tiltall in every respect. Swapping heads is easy when you have the right tripod.

With all due respect, the original question posted by Mr. Korolas was how to disassemble the

head of his Tiltall tripod. Not to question his judgement in doing so.<p>To answer your

question, Mr. Korolas, yes, you remove that screw, and hit the tripod head with a LEATHER

hammer, or a wooden drift and a regular hammer so as not to mar the finish of the tripod. A

rubber hammer won't work. It will bounce off and not transmit the force necessary to do the

job. A rubber hammer is used to tap lids onto drums or put hub caps on cars.<p>If you like,

I can make you a new cap for your post if you describe what you need.