Using the Kenko extension tubes

hector_evans

Am I supposed to <br>

<br>

a) mount the tube on body first, and then mount the lens on the tube? <br>

<br>

or<br>

<br>

b) mount the tube on the lens first, and then mount the assebly on the body?<br>

<br>

And what if I do it the wrong way? I remember reading something in the

instructions that came with my Kenko extension tubes, but I can't find them!<br>

<br>

Thanks

While I can't see the difference, Canon do state that their tubes should be mounted firstly onto the lens and then the lens plus tube onto the body. Disassembly is the reverse. Kenko is probably the same. Perhaps some kind person will give us the reason why.

<I>Perhaps some kind person will give us the reason why.</i><P>

The only thing I can think of is in the unlikely event that you trigger the shutter with only

a tube mounted, you might get an error that wouldn't occur if nothing was mounted. I've

been mounting and unmounting tubes and extenders for years in mostly random order --

must have done it thousands of times -- and have not had a single problem. Caveat: I

got consistent ERR99 warnings when I had a heavy camera hung from a stack of Kenko

tubes, which visibly flexed under the load. But that was independent of the order in which

tubes, lens, and camera were attached.

"I got consistent ERR99 warnings when I had a heavy camera hung from a stack of Kenko tubes, which visibly flexed under the load."

Yes my set were so loose they would dismount the lens without warning nearly causing the loss of a 300 f4 IS on one occasion.

I soon changed to a stack of Canon tubes. The lockup securely and have no flex or rotation.

There is a tendency to try and save money on tubes, there just air right! However it does seem the Canon ones are made much more accurately.