I tried a 90mm Summicron which I liked very much and would be ideal but the one

in question was too pricey for now. How can I tell the different versions, and

which are worth getting?

Ideally I'd like to spend around US $500, but could probboly stretch to US $800

if this is not realistic.

I could of course get an R8 instead for less, but I think in the long term I'd

probobly wish I'd got the R9.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses so far, I should add that I'd like a prime lense. I did also try the 35-70 f/4.0, but ended up deciding I would prefer to uses either the 90mm summicron or the 50mm (I think it was a summilux) i had a look at on the same day.

If you are only going to have one lens, you should seriously consider a zoom. The R zooms

(at least the new ones) are as good as the prime lenses, just slower. The 35-70mm f/4 is an

excellent lens, and it will probably be more useful to you than just a 90mm or similar. I used

to be a prime lens only sort of fellow, but when I got the 28-90mm f/2.8-4.5 lens, I realized

that I did 80% of my photography with it, and it was truly exceptional.

The newer Leica zooms are really very good. If you insist on a prime you might think about a

60mm f/2.8 macro. Super sharp and even corner to corner. Balances nicely on the R8/R9.

Very versatile. Can be found in your price range. You want either a 3-cam, R-cam, or ROM

lens for the R8/R9.

I had an R8 until I sold it last year. I still use my R3 and of all the R lenses I have, I always reach for the 80mm 1.4!

It is by far my favorite R lens. I even have the adapter for my Canon 1D Mark II so I can use it digitally. While it is not cheap, it produces the most interesting looking results.

"Why an R9 as opposed to an R8?"

The main reason is that for what I've been reading, a lot of R8's appear to have reliability problems, I havn't heard so many complaints about the R9. The R9 felt better balanced in my hands, but the main reason is I don't want to have to do expensive repairs.

"Geoff -- I would forget about the ROM lens. 90mm Summi 3 cam with 55mm filter can be had for about $500. I love that lens. -- Sid"

What info does the ROM convey to the body which you otherwise lose?

"If you are only going to have one lens, you should seriously consider a zoom."

I will have one lense for now, but will buy more in around six months. I'm thinking of the first lense as the start of a system, but it's only short term, hense the prime rather than zoom. The zoom I tried was very nice, but I prefer the primes.

I think all ROM provides is info to zoom flash heads and some very minor exposure corrections based on sample to sample correction of particular lenses.

Pick what primes you want to end up owning and buy either what you can find now at a good price or the most used one to get the most utility right away.

There are no really bad lenses in the R line except the 24mm Minolta design. That lens has issues with off axis image not being sharp when it should be within the debth of field. The 90 APO wil go a touch soft under 6 feet. So will the second version of the 90 2.8.

My favorites are the 35/70 zoom, 60 100 APO. If I did low light work, 50 1.4 current only, 90 APO. The 60 and 100 are fabulous lenses.

I would not restrict myself to ROM lenses.

For a truly versatile single prime between 50 and 100mm, the 60 would be my choice. When

I had an R system I found this lens to have some very wonderful qualities...and I also found

that I could go out photographing with just this lens attached and it would just lead me on

further and further - I am actually considering getting back into a Leica R - mostly so I can

once again use the 60.

As for cost - very good examples of the 60 are available in your price range.

Within your budget and preferred focal length range I can heartily recommend either the 60

macro or the pre-APO 90mm Summicron-R from many years of personal experience. My

brief use of the E55 50mm Summilux-R suggests it's another you should consider. Using

film and w/o flash the ROM will make little if any difference.

<P>

With the DMR and I expect with the R9's successor(s) the ROM tells the camera a few

additional parameters such as vignetting properties so that the camera can correct for these.

I think if you purchased any of the later lenses in the range you indicated, you would be quite happy. Extending out a little, the 135 seems to be a real bargain...for some reason few people use it anymore.

I'd get a Late Serial # R8, a 50mm Summicron and a 90mm Elmarit. Both of those lenses are about the sharpest you can get and it won't break the bank. I had that set-up, along with a 35mm f2.8 and it was a great kit. Decided to stick with M cameras or would still have it.

I agree with the others: a 50mm Summicron (latest) and 90mm Summicron or Elmarit (latest) should be achievable on your budget and they are great lenses and easy to get hold of; although the 90mm Elmarit (II) is not nearly so common as a Summicron.
Robin Smith