Hello, I am considering to upgrade from a Nikon D50 to a D80 or D200. I am

wondering which is the best choice? Some say image quality is better on the

d200 and some say its equal. However I know that lens mean more in quality,

so... I dont know what I should do. I do know that if I do get the d80, i'll

have extra money to spend on some quality lense. Can anyone justify the real

big difference between these two SLRS? Im more concern of image quality than

anything. Sorry for a repost if so, but I had to get an updated discussion

rather than seeing one from couples months back. recommendations and

information would greatly be appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Alan

From reviews and user opinions D80 is an excellent camera. I have ordered it and waiting to arrive... However, since you already have the D50, you might want to take a bigger step, towards the D200. Wait for some D200 users. They will point out the advantages the D200 brings along with the higher price.

Hi Alan,

I had the D80 and upgraded to D300.. The differences in the ergonomics of the 2 cameras

totally different. D200/D300 makes you change settings much more quickly without going

deep into the menus. It makes me focus on the picture rather than the menus&settings on

the camera. The body feels much more solid and well balanced.

Also the Matrix metering is much more reliable in D200. I always had to check histogram

with D80 as it had tendency to overexpose. I even left using Matrix metering and switch to

Center Metering mode as it was more reliable.

If you are shooting mainly landscapes, than D80 will be ok for you and you can spend the

left cash on the glasses. But if your main interest is shooting kids, action, street

photography or sports, and have the cash to justify, I strongly suggest you the D200.

Also why not wait for the Photokina if you are not in hurry. There is a very high chance of

updated D80 to be announced.

Gokce

I wonder if you could wait a month. There were predictions that there would be a D80 replacement at the PMA show in January. When that didn't happen, there began to be predictions of a D80 replacement to occur in September, at Photokina. These two shows are where many new cameras are first announced, so that is when announcements are often predicted. However, Nikon first announced at least the D50 and the D70s, and possibly more DSLRs, in the month of April. Since you have a working D50, you might wait one more month.

hmm, could it be that better-tha-expected d300 sales are delaying the d90 release?

for the OP,

are you considering buying the d200 new or used?

if you were thinking new, might as well cough up the extra cash for a d300 or buy a used D2X.

if you were thinking used, it's a tough call between that and a new d80 (with warrenty, etc.) but if you can find a low-actuation body, it might be worth it for the faster FPS, better metering and more rugged body. there are some sweet deals out there!

or, maybe buy more glass in the meantime, wait for the d90 release, then you'll have one more body to choose from.

question is, how much "upgrade" is right for you?

Well, I actually wanted to get an SLR before summer cause of some vacations I'll be going to. Also, if I do wait for Photokina and wait for the release of the updated D80, im sure it will run be around $1200 atleast? or am I over exaggerating? I was intending of buying one of these body USED. I found some used bodies of the D200 for $850-900 and some D80 body for $680-$750. Also, I probably would just buy one lens to be in my budget, then later on in the future buy more lens..

Alan,

Both d80 and d200 are fine digital backs. I upgraded from a D70 a few years ago and had the choice of either D80 or D200. At the time my biggest plus for the D200 was the fact that it has so many of the variable key input controls on the outside of the body (ie. not having to accessed via the menu) like ISO, Shooting mode M,P,A,S White balance adjust and image quality RAW JPEG etc - all at such easy finger tip accessible places.

If you have a need to take photos now, I'd not bother waiting for either announced or rumoured models to materialise. Go for either body and build your lenses up later on.

I was in this same position about a month ago and went with the D200 and haven't looked back. I had a D50 and was looking to upgrade. With the prices of a used D200 very good now, I decided to buy that. The body and the feel of it is great. I don't know how a D80 feels, but I am confident while using the D200, that it can take a beating. The 5fps is a nice bonus. One thing to note, as Im sure you know, the battery life of the D200 is not great if your shooting raw. It is not hard to bring another battery, but just warning you. Hope this helps.

Robert

I can't say anything about D80/D200, so my contribution will be of little or no help, but I agree with Tom - I prefer to spend my money on lenses rather than bodies. I am the happy owner of one digital body (D50) and two lenses (17-35mm + 70/200mm, both Nikon), I normally print 20x30cm (A4) sometimes 30x45cm and I'm quite happy. The difference between D50 and D80/D200 is not only in megapixels, there is more; nevertheless, I plan to buy a second body soon (so I won't have to switch lenses on D50) and it will almost certainly be a D40, unless Nikon introduces a new low-end body in the next few months. Hope this helps in your decision; in any case, always try to get the best from what you have before opening your wallet. Ciao!

Tom above is who I agree with most. The biggest difference you'll see in photos will come from lenses, not cameras (unless you are photo'ing very fast action sports etc.) You didn't say what lenses you have, or even what you like to photo. With nothing to go on, I'm still going to agree with Tom and say buy better lenses.

I have the D80 and went with it instead of the D200 because I thought the D80 was a better camera all in all. It shoots more cleanly at ISO 800 than the D200 does, is much more compact to carry, and shares most of the major components of the D200. Don't let anyone fool you, the D80 is plenty tough. I've been using mine almost daily since December 2006 and it has taken everything that Dakota winters can throw at it.

Many beginners make the mistake of concentrating on cameras instead of lenses. I'm not sure why that is, but mostly we have all done that. It's the lens that determines what kind of photos we can take and what their quality will be. What isn't the D50 doing that you think a D80 could do? That's the question to ask yourself. As for me, I see cameras as disposable and try to put as little $$ as possible into them. My money has gone into lenses, a first class tripod, and now also into expensive outdoor lighting.

Kent in SD

I agree with three inputs above mine. I had a chance to get D200 but I did not. I got D80 and spent extra bucks for glasses,flash which improve my pictures' quality. ( I upgraded from D40x to D80 because D40/x limit my choices on lenses.And I will not spend any more $ for body). I think pro glasses ( of course, plus your skills) will improve your images much more than the body upgrade does.

The image quality practically identical. If you need faster FPS, Lager Buffer, Rugged Body, and more buttons, then go with the D200, otherwise get the D80 and don't use it's matrix meter, but use it's center weighted meter and it will work great.

If you don't need bigger enlargements, CLS commander built in, a few more buttons, or a lager viewfinder, stick with the D50 and spend the money on glass or a trip.

D80 has a CLS commander capable flash built-in.

D80 has the automated preset picture taking modes that D200 does not have. If you are used to using them on D50, you will certainly miss them on D200.

I agree: "stick with the D50" untill you get a new comming FX sensor in small body like D80 like size camera body, and at low cost, but that could take a year to wait or longer...?

With the prices of used D200's these days it really is a no brainer to get a more durable body, weather sealing, faster frame per second, and more consistent metering in all modes.

Check with your local camera shop. They probably have used D200's on the shelf for around $1,000. Most local shops will even offer you a 90 to 180 warranty on their used equipment.

At $1000 the D200 is a GREAT deal and pretty close to the price of the slower, plastic D80.

Not sure what your motivation is, but I have a D80. It works fine most of the time, but I would advise against buying a used one because of the plastic factor. If you are looking for a better camera, the D200 should be your choice. I have seen the D2X used for less than a D300.

Last year I chose the D200 over the D80. I felt they have similiar image quality. The D200 has much better control layout and most important for me was the ability to use MF lenses with metering. I buy used lenses and don't mind MF if the lense quality is very good. If you are just going to use AF-? lenses then the D80 would do.

I was in the same position in November 07. I have a F100, the film "parent" to the D200, so I had some comparison as far as features like FPS, build quality, weight, etc. Understand that I like my F100--a lot. It's a great camera body. However, I'm not a pro and to my eye, the image quality was not that much different between the D80 and the D200. For me the difference is in the features and the price. At the time the D80 was a better value than the D200 because the D300s had not yet shipped. Yep, I like the D200 and will probably get one some day, however, I'm very happy with the D80. It does all I need at this point.

As far as lenses, I bought a used 18-70 instead of the 18-135 kit lens. Both are sharp and contrasty, however the 18-70 seems to have fewer pincushion/barrel problems. I've had the best results on the D80 with an 85mm f1.8 prime. That gives really sharp images with great color and converts to about a film 127mm. Unless you could find a great deal on a D200, I'd agree with those that say D80 and better lenses.