calibrating my monitor

Each version of Photoshop is compatible with certain camera file formats. The newest version, PhotoShop CS3, can work with the greatest # of file formats. I recommend you go to the Adobe website, check the list of compatible RAW formats for PhotoShop CS (your version) and see if the D50 is there. If it is then see if there is a patch or update to CS that you need to apply. If not, and if there is no update available to the version of PhotoShop you have then you probably have two choices if you wish to use PhotoShop with your D50 RAW files. One is to upgrade your version of PhotoShop to one that can read the D50's RAW formatted files. Another is to use a RAW to DNG converter and open the file in the DNG format. If I were you then I would recommend for the former (upgrade your version of PhotoShop). Adobe generally offers special upgrade pricing that is much cheaper than outright buying a new copy.

Athe version of Adobe Camera raw for Adobe Photoshop CS mostly likel yhas not been updated i nsometime and therefore very likely cannot deal wit hNEF files from a recent camera like the Nikon D50.

Each camera model has it's own 'flavor' of raw formats. There are sound technical reasons for this -- not only do sensors and internal processing advance but so does the math being used in those processors. one solution to this is Adobe's open source and free DNG converter but I'm pretty sure that ACR for Photoshop CS doesn't support the DNG format either.

before somebody whines about Adobe not continually updating programs that were discontinued three versions ago, that is a non starter for a number of reasons --mainly having to do with brain power. To address the situation however Adobe did create and freely distributes the DNG converter

So ... what are your choices? The most logical thing to do is to buy the Adobe Photoshop CS3 update (Around $170-180) . Photoshop Cs is the earliest version of photoshop than can be updated. That will also be a substantial upgrade in functionality as well.

Another possibility is to get Adobe Photoshop Lightroom as your raw processing and archiving program. You would then do virtually all of your "global (image wide) edits in Lightroom and then export as a PSD or TIFF to your existing version of Photoshop.

A third option would be to go with Nikon Capture NX. This is avery fine raw converter and iamge processigntool. Once again you could then export the mostly processed file to your existing version of Photoshop.

Along those lines you could use a third party wraw processor like Bibble (pro or Lite), Capture One (also 2 versions), or other 3rd party raw processors -- and then expoort fro mthose programs to your exisiting version of Photoshop.

Depending on how much you shoot I think the first and second options make the most sense -- if you have the money I'd get both PsCS3 and Lightroom.

Converting raw files from your D50 and viewing/correcting in Photoshop CS ?<p>

I believe you <b>can</b> do it, but you'll have to jump through a couple minor hoops. And I say this because I am using Photoshop CS to handle raw files from the (even older) Nikon D70. And I am neither technically oriented nor handy with computers.<p>

You will need the DNG converter (for Mac or Windows, as applicable). That's a free download from Adobe. <p>

I believe that Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) version 2.4 is the "last" version that is compatible with Photoshop CS. That too is a free download from Adobe. Pretty sure that's the version I'm using. It works very well. Again make certain you're getting the one you need -- for Windows or Mac.<p>

If by chance you're on a Mac, the combined download for ACR 2.4 and the DNG converter is found <a href=http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Macintosh&product=106>at the bottom of this list of downloads</a>.

Good luck.<p>

Or, of course, you can upgrade to the high falutin programs Ellis uses. :-)